best place to buy homebrew ingredients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phatuna

Reaction score
in your opinion, where is the best place (best value / quality ingredients) to buy brewing ingredients on the internet?

Brewmaster's Warehouse does have a 10% sale promotion code in affect right now.

I try and get all I can at my LHBS, but some things even with shipping are cheaper at AHS. Just my $.02

I've been ordering from morebeer.com lately... you can order like 30-40 pounds of grain without paying shipping...

I used to live in Las Vegas, and there were no HB stores at all within over 100 miles. I got very aquainted with the big 4 (AHS, B3, Midwest, NB). I think they are all pretty dang close when you factor in shipping and such.

To me, the winning factor tends to be shipping distance. The distance you live from the shop correlates to how long shipping will take and how long your ingredients will be in the posession of UPS. I see you live in San Diego. The closest to you would be B3, and they would probably give you the fastest overall shipping times.

However, is there a reason you don't like your local stores? SD has many great homebrew shops. I used to love going into Hydrobrew in Oceanside when I lived there a few years ago. The owner, Lars, is always there. He is very cool and used to brew for Stone Brewery before he decided to open his shop. He was also educated at the prestigious Siebel Institute in Chicago.

IMHO, I think if people have access to a LHBS, they should use them. It is a great way to support your local economy and nothing can substitute a real, knowledgable person when you have questions. And who doesn't like hanging around jawing about homebrew?

Hi Couevas, your point is a very interesting one - I have done most of my shopping on the internet in the past few years. most of my internet purchases are clothes because I can't stand going to the mall and dealing with the headache.
I suppose that I have just come accustomed to searching the internet for goods. I hadn't put the thought together that buying homebrew supplies is not like buying a pair of underwear at the mall. There is a great network of people hanging around these shops.
Your point is very well taken in regards to supporting our local economy and those of us fortunate enough to have a LHBS should use them. I will heed to your call. Cheers!

I live in chattanooga, where we have no LHBS :(

Brewmasters warehouse I will really vouch for here; not only do they charge 6.99 flat shipping (even when you order more than 50 lbs. ) but their customer service is outstanding, and for 6.99 I get ONE day shipping to here from Marietta, GA.

On my last order I ordered 4 vials of yeast, they called me immediately and let me know that the expiry date was close on my WL oktoberfest.. and asked if I wanted to sub. They sent me a wyeast strain instead. Any other company might've just shipped the yeast they had without being concerned.

Brewmasters Warehouse is a great company. But definitely factor in delivery distance.

PHATUNA,

where in SD do you live? If you are in North County, do check out Hydrobrew in Oceanside. They are on PCH a couple miles north of the harbor.

edit: like many LHBS's they are closed Sunday and Monday (Store owners gotta have a couple days off to brew too).

I am in Clairmont (just east of Pacific Beach off of the 5). I have no problems getting up to oceanside though.

I am in Clairmont (just east of Pacific Beach off of the 5). I have no problems getting up to oceanside though.

There are two closer stores for you, though. There's American Homebrew in Kearney Mesa (which I wouldn't recommend) and then Home Brew Mart, which is my go to store for sure. I wouldn't buy equipment there as it is too pricy, but their prices on grain and all that is just fine.

...American Homebrew in Kearney Mesa.....Home Brew Mart....

Haven't been to either of these, as I stuck around my north County neck of the woods.

Disclaimer: Hydrobrew is great for knowledge and comradery....but they are not the best priced place in town. But, like I said before, I am fine with paying a few bucks more on a batch when I can hang out in a shop and tell brewing stories (not to mention sample the store-owner's brews

Yeah. Home Brew Mart has been around for something like 14 years now, and the brewery Ballast Point actually started there. Their grain is always fresh because they have a high turnover from the production brewery and tons of customers. Their hops could be a bit cheaper, but I like the convenience of the 2 ounce bags they sell it in. Oh, and they have a tasting counter for the brewery in the back of the shop with some crazy random beer.

I feel bad for those of you with no LHBS close by. I have 2 within 20 minutes of my house. One is 5 minutes from my house and the other is 5 minutes from where I work. I generally go to the one that is 5 minutes from my house. He has a great website and seems to have reasonable prices. His website is rebelbrewer.com and the owner, Tom, has been in the business for some time. The other is a little pricey for equipment, all seasons, but it is close to work.

I used to love going into Hydrobrew in Oceanside when I lived there a few years ago. The owner, Lars, is always there. He is very cool and used to brew for Stone Brewery before he decided to open his shop. He was also educated at the prestigious Siebel Institute in Chicago.

With Hydrobrew in town I have no need to shop at .com.
Lars is a great guy, very knowledgeable and friendly, same can be said about his two employees.
If you're looking for a 6.5 g glass carboy they have them in stock for $35!

American Home Brewing Supply is worth checking out, just be wary of high prices on equipment.

The discount code for 10% is part of our AD in BYO that is out right now. There are other threads that mention it on the forums. I am sure that you can find it if you searched BYOAD, or maybe just type that in the discount box on the site.

Ed

fry-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

Back