Best place to buy a kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you completely ruled out buying an old Sankey keg, cutting the top off, and installing a spigot? Thats the route I went. $25 for the keg, free for the top cut (knew a guy), $40 for a weldless spigot, $2 for a hole saw bit for my drill. And I ended up with a 15 gallon brew pot. I would recommend this approach due to the sheer cost of a stainless 40 qt pot.

Willsellout said:
anyone know a good place with good prices on a 40qt kettle? Stainless preferred.

Thanks

Dan

Check Costco. They had the 10 gallon turkey fryer set up (Stainless) for $80, which is cheaper than most 10 gallon kettles.

I recently bought a 40gt. stainless kettle w/ pot at my local restaurant supply depot for $60. She's a bute. Granted a friend of mine owns a restaurant and gave me a spare membership card, but if any of you have access to a non-public restaurant supply warehouse I'd highly suggest checking them out for some great deals.

Those are great prices on Keggles...

I had one constructed last year, and it was the best brewing related thing I've done to date. You can't beat doing 10 gallon full boils and not even having to worry about boilovers.

I was the fortuitous recipient of a free keg last year (THANK YOU, BOSTON!), and converting it was easy. Angle grinder to the top, cut a hole for a weldless coupling, done. Adding a sight tube this weekend. Never have to worry about a boil-over, and it's big enough for 10 gallon batches.

abracadabra said:
Here's a 9 ga. stainless includes the lid, thermometer and ball valve spigot.
$99+shipping.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbrew-4-lessQQhtZ-1

I picked up one of those kettles on ebay, I have not had a chance to use it yet, so I cant tell you much about how it works, but I can tell you that the steel it is not as thick as I thought it was going to be. I am a little concerned that it is going to develop hot spots during the boil. I'll post a review as soon as I get to brew again.

vtfan99 said:
Have you completely ruled out buying an old Sankey keg, cutting the top off, and installing a spigot? Thats the route I went. $25 for the keg, free for the top cut (knew a guy), $40 for a weldless spigot, $2 for a hole saw bit for my drill. And I ended up with a 15 gallon brew pot. I would recommend this approach due to the sheer cost of a stainless 40 qt pot.

I would like to but I live in the middle of nowhere and I have yet to find one. The ones on ebay are like 50 bucks to ship. I am still looking around for one and don't plan on buying a kettle for at least a couple weeks so we will see. I did see Pedalbikers goods and have thought about pulling the trigger but I'm not quite sure yet.

Dan

Willsellout said:
I would like to but I live in the middle of nowhere and I have yet to find one. The ones on ebay are like 50 bucks to ship. I am still looking around for one and don't plan on buying a kettle for at least a couple weeks so we will see. I did see Pedalbikers goods and have thought about pulling the trigger but I'm not quite sure yet.

Dan

I had to drive about 45 minutes to get mine, but it was certainly worth it. I thought Oregon was full of brew pubs and micro breweries. There has to be a place with an hours drive. If not, I feel for ya man....shipping sucks. :(

vtfan99 said:
I had to drive about 45 minutes to get mine, but it was certainly worth it. I thought Oregon was full of brew pubs and micro breweries. There has to be a place with an hours drive. If not, I feel for ya man....shipping sucks. :(
The closest brewery is Rogue in Newport. I will keep looking though. Now if I was to do a Keggle, would an IC work for chilling or would I need something more?

Dan

Willsellout said:
The closest brewery is Rogue in Newport. I will keep looking though. Now if I was to do a Keggle, would an IC work for chilling or would I need something more?

Dan

I use an immersion chiller and dont have much of a problem. The only exception is in the dead of summer when its 90+ outside. My solution was to use a second chiller in a bucket of ice water. But the short answer is yes, an IC will work fine. Other chillers may work better, but an IC will work just fine.

vtfan99 said:
I use an immersion chiller and don't have much of a problem. The only exception is in the dead of summer when its 90+ outside. My solution was to use a second chiller in a bucket of ice water. But the short answer is yes, an IC will work fine. Other chillers may work better, but an IC will work just fine.
Yeah I live on the coast in Oregon, in the summer it doesn't get over 70 and the water is in the low 60's here so the IC should work then. Ok cool, I just need to get one with the in/out's higher so they can go over the top of the keggle. I was just checking out ebay and the shipping on most kegs is around 35 bucks so it's still half the price of a SS kettle and I can go as big as I want with my boils and not have to worry about room.

Thanks!

Dan

First time poster here.
I also bought one of the $99, 9-gal ebay pots. I've done 2 brews in it to date. It is pretty light weight and had a few minor dings from shipping. No other complaints though. It does the job. Nice to have the ball valve and thermometer.

raceskier said:
First time poster here.
I also bought one of the $99, 9-gal ebay pots. I've done 2 brews in it to date. It is pretty light weight and had a few minor dings from shipping. No other complaints though. It does the job. Nice to have the ball valve and thermometer.
I think I'm going to splurge and get one of Pedalbikers keggles with a valve and thermometer. It's pricey but I will only have to buy it once.

Dan

Bsquared said:
I picked up one of those kettles on ebay, I have not had a chance to use it yet, so I cant tell you much about how it works, but I can tell you that the steel it is not as thick as I thought it was going to be. I am a little concerned that it is going to develop hot spots during the boil. I'll post a review as soon as I get to brew again.

I would have to agree that is is not at all heavy duty. The plastic on the ball valve handle melted the 1st time I used it. The face of the thermometer is turning brown already after 3 uses and started darkening during the 1st use.

Since I only use it to heat the sparge and mash water the light duty in not really of any concern to me. I don't know how well this thing would work as a boil pot and don't intend to find out.

Back