Best Place to Buy A Kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LongDukDong

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a 15gl kettle and was wondering if anyone in HBT land had any recommendations. The running rate seems to be in the $250 range w/ ball valve and thats looking through the Vendor links here. My local CL didnt have anything posted either and that's where i found a some sweet deals on other brew equipment.

Any other shops online that i dont know about?

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/pr...Pot-with-Capsule-Bottom-60-Quart-Capacity.htm

These are the "megapots" you have probably seen advertised at NB....MoreBeer calls them something else. I haven't found them anywhere cheaper ($125). Add the ball valve yourself and save a lot of money.

I went with the 20g pots for a few bucks more, and that would be my recommendation. These pots are so wide, they tend to boil off a ton.

Thnx Hickory Mike!

That's what I'm talking about. Think i might pick up the 20gl pot. I'd save close to $50 even after shipping and a weldless spigot. Also checked out your Youtube channel too. Sweet setup you got and great vids!

BendBrewer,

SJ is about 45min away and i get my bulk grain another 30min north at MoreBeer. I'll make sure to pit stop there on my next trip up since i didnt see any prices online.

You could also find a used keg, I get them down here for around $25 - $50.

cut the top and drill a hole for a ball valve. Watch Yuri do it here:

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazon.com. I got the bayou classic 1060 60 quart pot for $119. It looked good to me for the price and I can do 10 gallon batches full boil. It should arrive by Friday and then I'm going to add the ball valve, sight glass and thermometer from bargain fittings. I should end up with a nice boil kettle for under $200.

Thnx Hickory Mike!

That's what I'm talking about. Think i might pick up the 20gl pot. I'd save close to $50 even after shipping and a weldless spigot. Also checked out your Youtube channel too. Sweet setup you got and great vids!

Thanks for the positive feedback. I really like these pots. They are built like a tank. The heavy duty bottom prevents scorching and distributes heat evenly.

Furthermore, these hold their value very well. I actually started with a 10g pot that I eventually sold on Ebay and made $100. It's nice knowing that you can get your money back out of an item if necessary.

I have nothing but good things to say about these pots. The only potential negative is that they boil off a TON due to the width. I was hoping I could do 15g batches, but with the 22% boiloff rate it's impossible. I purposely selected these pots because they were short and fat....it you do a 3 tier system, the overall height is still manageable.

Sorry if that doesn't make sense....I just got home from my homebrew club Christmas party and I'm a bit buzzed.

Cheers!

I know some people don't have the means to find or modify a keg but I had a relative at a beer distributor that let me pick any keg they had in house for $50 and I made it into a kettle. Cut the top off, add a valve, add a thermometer and polish it up and I think it's cooler and more durable than any kettle you can buy.

Back