Best piece of equipment any brewer could have

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discgolfin

Reaction score
A good thermometer!!!

After bad ones, and decent ones..cheap ones and 13$ ones..Probe electornic..ect.....ect. I went through 3 digital 10$ ones in 1 year..I finally have it..for a present I recieved a Taylor 9306 Probe thermometer. This thing is freaking great..instant read on probe as well as a infared sensor that allows me to point at anything and get an instant read..it is within .5 degrees of the probe...lifetime warrenty as well.

http://www.giftngadget.com/taylor9306.html

I know its a bit pricy but in the last 3 years of brewing I have gone through 5 cheap ones..so it is about time..invest in one..I also love the infared for checking fermentors temp...:ban:

J

Wow, that is one bad azz thermometer. I am heading a different direction, I am installing thermometers in all my pots. My problem is that I keep dropping them in the pots. :(

Refractometer. I just used mine 15 times on today's brew and will use it twice a day to monitor the fermentation. It's an awesome way to monitor the conversion and evaporation rate. (not that a good thermometer isn't important too though)

True Refractometer would be second for me..but when it comes to reproducing a beer..mash temp is critical..if I replicate my brew process the same and have an exact temp..153.0 not 154 or 152 or 158..Than thats all I need.
dial thermometers are not accurate enough for me..and they are not instant and they break and you have to re calibratre..this thing is water proof steam proof instant read and as accurate as you can get..

J

An accurate thermometer is key and I have one- Thermapen.

I want a fermentation chamber, with the summer heat I am stymied and cannot control my ferment temps to a tolerance that is required

That's a step in the right direction for sure. The only drawback for me would be the short, fixed probe. I prefer a type "k' thermocouple thermometer as the probes are replaceable and there are a variety of styles available to choose from.

I use one of these:

http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=9121045

It works great and it's a lot cheaper too. It doesn't have the infra red option, but I already have a hand held infra red remote reading one that I can use when needed. The only things I found that useful for are checking the wort temp in the fermenter as it comes out of the chiller and during fermentation.

IMO, a refrigerator or other temperature controlled fermentation chamber is my most valuable brewing accessory and the more capacity the better.

I have been using this for about a month now, after I compleleted my first AG brew with a cheap grocerry store digital thermometer that broke the evening I bought it I decided it was time to upgrade.

61luIF2V8wL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The best piece of equipment a brewer could have is something for temperature control.

That doesnt have to be equipment..simply a cooler water and a wet towel..does the trick fine..I have a basement that sits at 65 degrees all year long..so along with water I have stable ferm temps..so I disagree with this..becasue not everyone needs a fermentation chamber..unless they are brewing lagers..even that can be avoided..however try to brew a consistant beer..you need not only the same ferm temps but the same mash temps ect...I also monitor the water in my cooler with this probe so I know that my beer is fermenting as close to say 68 that I want..again this is my opinion but all things aside if your brewing all grain a thermometer that is accurate and easy to use and an instant read is a brewers best friend..

I have been using this for about a month now, after I compleleted my first AG brew with a cheap grocerry store digital thermometer that broke the evening I bought it I decided it was time to upgrade.

61luIF2V8wL.jpg

That appears to be an infra red type remote reading thermometer. I have a similar unit, but found it to be of little use in brewing. It will only indicate surface temperatures. Reflective surfaces interfere with the reading as will steam and vapor. Their accuracy is generally rather crude. I do find them handy for checking the approximate temperatures of my fermenters and also for the output of my chiller, but pretty much worthless for monitoring mash temperatures. I much prefer my digital thermocouple type thermometer over the infra red thingy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to have to say that something to boil in is the most important item you can have, if you want to get picky about it. I can make beer without checking temps or gravity, but I can't do anything without a pot to boil in. :D

I'm going to have to say that something to boil in is the most important item you can have, if you want to get picky about it. I can make beer without checking temps or gravity, but I can't do anything without a pot to boil in. :D

Yep. If you are limiting yourself to one piece of equipment, then it's gonna have to be a good pot to mash, boil, and ferment in.

HBT. Without it, I'd be lost! This place has answered "emergency" questions while in the middle of a batch, and has supplied me with the knowlege I need to brew better beers!

Oh, and I agree with the "sample glass". Hell, you gotta taste it!

Back