Best option for small batch (3gal) kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0110x011

Reaction score
After brewing a few 5 gallon batches and throwing out the last third of almost all of them, I've decided to move to 3 gallon batches. What size kettle would be recommended for this size boil? Something as large as 7 gallons seems a bit overkill to me. Also, what is the most economical way to get the right size kettle with a ball valve? Is it worth it to get a prefab 7 gallon, or would a 5 gallon with a weldless valve I install myself be better?

Believe it or not, Wal-Mart's Tramontina Pot is a pretty good kettle. I believe it's a 22 qt and is only $40. It was perfect when I was doing partial boils using extract - a nice heavy base. A self-installed valve won't be that much.

Why not use whatever kettle you're currently using for 5 gallon batches?

The issue is that my current kettle is too big. I inherited my dad's brewing gear, including his 25 gallon kettles. It's nice to have for bigger batches, but it's completely impractical for anything smaller than 5 gallons.

I wish I had your problem. I have a 4 gallon kettle and want to do a 5 gallon all grain (full volume) brew. Haven't brewed in a long time so I already need to replace a lot of equipment. Can't afford to get a new kettle too.

Trade? :D Haha

$20 32qt aluminum pot.

If you're looking at 3g batches, you're still boiling ~5g of liquid to start, and you need space to prevent boilover at hot break.

I'd probably use the turkey fryer kettle that I use for 5 gallon batches. I'm actually going to start doing 3 gallon batches too, because I have a small drink cooler and I can do full boils in the kitchen instead of outside, and because 5 gallons of homebrew is a lot for 1 man to drink (well, it's a lot for this 1 man to drink).

I have a variety of cheap stainless kettles, but they are so think that the flame scorches the wort a bit on the bottom. The aluminum turkey fryer distributes the heat better. A NICE SS kettle would be ideal.

Is there an reason why I can't/shouldn't use my 2.4 gallon kitchen pot to boil my wort? For one...is it big enough? Also, wasn't sure if there were any consequences to my beer, or home cooking that would be affected by this. Sure don't want to make the wife mad. I'm planning on using it for a partial boil of a 5 gal batch.

Is there an reason why I can't/shouldn't use my 2.4 gallon kitchen pot to boil my wort? For one...is it big enough? Also, wasn't sure if there were any consequences to my beer, or home cooking that would be affected by this. Sure don't want to make the wife mad. I'm planning on using it for a partial boil of a 5 gal batch.

Off the top of my head, I would say the biggest thing to consider would be your hop utilization.

Believe it or not, Wal-Mart's Tramontina Pot is a pretty good kettle. I believe it's a 22 qt and is only $40. It was perfect when I was doing partial boils using extract - a nice heavy base. A self-installed valve won't be that much.

This is the pot I use for my boils. Great pot and great price.

Back