Best online source for BIAB pre-crushed grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducky2010

Reaction score
It looks like this question hasn't been asked in a while so I thought I'd see what the most current opinions are on where to order pre-crushed grains. Specifically, who might double crush if you specify you are doing BIAB?

Background:
I've done 3 batches now but my efficiency has been awful (round 50%). The first batch I went a bit high temp-wise, so I figured I'd cooked the enzymes. The second batch though I was much better and still having issues. I skulked around here and came to the conclusion that while I could probably dial in the process a bit more the most likely culprit is the crush.

The first two batches I ordered online as kits due to price issues with the LHBS (very very expensive) but I was impatient to try another batch, so off I popped. I asked the guy here to double crush it and he pretty much flat out refused, implying that I had no idea what I was talking about. I suspect it's largely because I have breasts, as every time I have gone there I get much of the same attitude no matter what I'm looking for. :mad:

Anyhoo, I know ultimately I should buy a grain mill. But I've spent a lot of money buying *stuff* over the last few months for this new hobby, and at the moment I'd rather spend what cash I do have to spare (not much) on buying more ingredients to get experience (and beer :tank:). If I do buy equipment, I'd really like a minifridge to use as a fermentation chamber before the Houston summers set in.

Long story short: If you were faced with a crappy LHBS, a shortage of cash, and needed to crushed grains online for BIAB, who would you go to?

BIAB doesn't really need a finer crush than other systems, though it can usually get away with it. Anyway, I've gotten full conversion from my no-sparge set up using grain crushed by most of the big shops. My last four batches were from Rebel Brewer, Northern Brewer, Austin Homebrew, and Midwest. All had good crush.

I asked the guy here to double crush it and he pretty much flat out refused, implying that I had no idea what I was talking about. I suspect it's largely because I have breasts, as every time I have gone there I get much of the same attitude no matter what I'm looking for. :mad:
?
I HATE when I get this kind of attitude from a store owner. I don't care If I asked you to say a prayer over my grains and soak them in rain water! Just do it please!
I got my grains from a Canadian online store so I won't be much help here, but I'm in the same boat (putting off the purchase of a mill).

I know when I went in to Austin Homebrew they didn't give me any issues when I asked them to double crush the grains. I told them it was for BIAB and the sales guy understood right away the reasoning. I will have no problems ordering from then again and again.

For the price of shipping a few batches you can buy a Corona style grain mill and do your own to the fineness you want. Then you can just buy whole grains and do as you wish. Amazon usually has several to choose from, just search for "grain mill". Sometimes you can get free shipping so pay attention as shipping can really change the total price.

Thanks to those that have weighed in so far! I know it seems silly to put it off, but there's always something isn't there? I honestly won't order for another week or so until my fermenter finishes, but right now I'm leaning towards Austin Homebrew because it's close so they won't have to ship as far. Farmhouse brewing supply also seems like a good option.

I recently bought from Austin Homebrew and asked them too double crush since I do BIAB. The crush seemed much finer than I would normally notice at an LHBS on the first crush, and I have gotten over 80% efficiency on both batches I purchased ingredients from there. Too boot, the yeast had only been packaged 6 days prior to me receiving shipment in Georgia! I would highly recommend them :mug:

Back