Best News Headlines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

grampamark

Icons clast. Inquire within.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
the best news:

the BigHair (wife, we're from the 80s) had appointment with the surgeon today, to find out if she's done, or has to go on to BRUTAL lung cancer treatment. she just had a lobe removed, waiting on results of testing the lymph nodes.

she was in with the doctor by herself, when her ANGEL of a PA (the one who ran interference for her in the hospital over her blood sugar) came out & told me EVERYTHING IS FINE! she's CANCER FREE!

(she also told me to "act surprised" when the wife gave me the same news)

pardon my sailor talk, but I am sofa king happy right now.
Really glad to hear this. My wife is a breast cancer survivor, going on 5 years cancer free. According to the pros from Dover (well, the Mayo Clinic, actually) that’s something of a magic number. After 5 years the odds of reoccurrence are the same as the general population’s chance of developing cancer, or so they say. Here’s wishing you and your wife many happy and healthy years to come. :mug:

GrogNerd

mean old man
Reaction score
this came EXACTLY 5 years after her colon cancer

brand new cancer, not a metastasis, but also didn't spread to her lymph nodes.

funny how this was also 6 weeks after our CPAP machines were recalled due to cancer concerns

grampamark

Icons clast. Inquire within.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
this came EXACTLY 5 years after her colon cancer

brand new cancer, not a metastasis, but also didn't spread to her lymph nodes.

funny how this was also 6 weeks after our CPAP machines were recalled due to cancer concerns
Damn. Well, as we age, the odds of developing any number of diseases get shorter. That, unfortunately, is just one of several no-extra-cost options that come with the aging process. Still glad to hear she’s doing well after treatment.

bruce_the_loon

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bring you, not as a response to the challenge, but as a heartwarming story of someone getting their just desserts. These are two separate instances.

and

balrog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is the strategic reserve some underground cavern, sequestered amongst the shoreline of Hudson Bay, or are we just talking about a protected grove of untapped sugar maples somewhere?

GrogNerd

mean old man
Reaction score
I am totally unhip to the musics of the last 30 years

I quit listening to new stuff in 1989/90.

balrog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was always told, by a proud Czech, that the Czech Republic was highest per capita beer consumer. (Sidenote: I asked why the name change to Czech Republic, and he said they even went further and now call it Czechia, which "nobody likes").

Anyway, quick dip into the always-true interwebz and one quickly finds survey after survey, and ya know what? None of 'em match. This animated yearly one was fun, but stopped in 2018. One of the most annoying was this nicely technical looking one, but with the page title of "Beer Consumption By Country 2021", clicking on Czechia (sorry Jan), then clicking "sources", the data is from 2018.

The interwebz lets me down, once again.

day_trippr

"This Space For Rent"
Reaction score
Once again, not exactly "best" and definitely not humorous. The "farm" where this happened is just 2 miles from us. I think the biggest animals they have there are sheep, maybe goats as well. To think a friggin' sheep could take someone out is sobering...

Dland

Reaction score
That is indeed tragic, but sobering? I'd go the other way with that & have a drink for the deceased and maybe another one for the "sheep" that will be killed for taking out a member of the dominant species.

Likely a ram, but there are alpha yews in some flocks , but whatever. I've helped out on farms with sheep in VT & NZ, they are not formidable foes, but they are animals & when trying to survive or pursue their agendas , they will do the best they can.

Anyway hopefully the old gal went out doing what she wanted to do instead of lying in a bed stuck w tubes.

A comfort animal? Someone had some old sheep & saw some a grant or donation some where, ...nah, don't want to know, but...anyway, would not be the first time...

Last edited: