Best method to carbonate a corny keg if in no hurry at all!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beardown

Reaction score
What are your preferred methods to carbing a corny keg if you are in no rush at all!? Chill the full keg, set to serving psi and let sit for a few days? Thanks,, purge or no? Thanks

If I'm in no hurry at all, I add priming sugar to naturally carbonate. It saves money on CO2.

Force carbonating - purge three times, chill and leave at serving pressure for a week or so.

Chill the full keg, set to serving psi and let sit for a two weeks.

Yes, purge if you're able to. I usually wait at least a week, but I find the carbonation is perfect after about 2 weeks at serving pressure.

Thanks,, so initially purge all the oxygen off top then set to serving psi and wait a week or so ,,, correct ?

Thanks,, so initially purge all the oxygen off top then set to serving psi and wait a week or so ,,, correct ?

Ideally, you clean and sanitize the keg, then fill slowly with co2 from the bottom using the liquid dip tube (swapped temporarily with gas valve). Or just fill with co2 and purge a couple times.

Then rack your beer, hook up to gas and purge about 5 times to rid of oxygen.

Water purge is the best method available to home brewers to truly purge a keg of O2.

1. Fill keg fully with water (bonus points if you fill via dip tube and vent through gas line until water comes out).
2. Push out water with CO2
3. Release CO2 pressure
4. Open pressure relief valve and rack to keg.

The "purge 3 times" thing leaves more than enough O2 to stale the entire batch.

Back