Best method to age barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dermotstratton

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I let barleywine ferment in primary for 4 weeks and then racked to secondary. I filled secondary up all the way to the neck to minimize surface area exposed to air. It has been in secondary for 6 months. I am wondering when I should keg it.

This has me asking myself a few questions:

Will carbonating it and storing under CO2 pressure age it differently then if I left it in carboy?

Is there any reason why I should not go straight to keg after 4 week primary? ( will clearing in keg be a problem)

Is there an ideal long term storage vessel?

Any thoughts/insights appreciated.

I don't think beer will age differently in a keg vs. carboy. Personally, I wouldn't pressurize it, just float CO2 on it.

You could also lager it cold.

I let barleywine ferment in primary for 4 weeks and then racked to secondary. I filled secondary up all the way to the neck to minimize surface area exposed to air. It has been in secondary for 6 months. I am wondering when I should keg it.

This has me asking myself a few questions:

Will carbonating it and storing under CO2 pressure age it differently then if I left it in carboy?

Short answer, no. If any residual CO2 is being produced by the yeasts, it will blanket any remaining headspace on the beer. It works out to about the same difference, so why make more work for yourself.

Is there any reason why I should not go straight to keg after 4 week primary? ( will clearing in keg be a problem)

Potentially, several reasons. A really big barleywine might not be finished brewing and might benefit from another couple of weeks in the primary. I've had some go six to eight weeks and this actually benefits a big barleywine to sit longer on the yeast cake to "clean up" a bit.

Is there an ideal long term storage vessel?

Something food safe, sanitary and can be stored cold in the dark. Metal kegs are perfect. Dark brown bottles inside of a cardboard box are also acceptable.

My recent RIS was in primary for a month then straight to keg with oak for another month. For me its easier to just age in a keg, I have plenty. Its easier to purge oxygen out in a keg.

Back