Best method for transferring wort from kettle to fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BK_BREWERY

Reaction score
i was just wondering your thoughts on the best method for transferring wort from the brew kettle to the fermenter, i have been pouring it through a mesh strainer and letting it catch what it can and for good aeration. i see others whirlpool and rack from the kettle, and saw others actually filter the wort with cheese cloth or strainer bags. any reason to rack vs pour or filter? is there a "best method" or is it personal preference? thoughts?

It is a personal preference. Everything settles out eventually so I don't bother to filter anything and just dump the whole thing in the fermenter.

yeah - I just use an auto siphon with an aerating tip on the end of it

Its cheap and works well

if no best method, what are the main things you are trying to accomplish in this transfer regardless of method? why would you filter or use strain bags? does it depend on style of beer you're brewing?

Folks screen or filter because they don't like a big pile of trub at the bottom of their primary. I figure I'm going to have trub anyway so I don't care if there is 1 inch of trub with filtering or 2 inches of trub without filtering.

I have been simply pouring the cooled wort through a mesh strainer (a bit messy). I was curious if anybody has heard of the extra trub (from pouring through a strainer) adding some "rough" flavors by sitting in the fermenter. There was one batch where I siphoned and noticed a much clearer product after fermentation. I usually boil a little under the 5 gallon mark and fill up with de-chlorinated water. When I siphoned from the kettle I found my OG mark was missed by a small amount because I couldn't get all the wort transfered from the mess of hops left over.

i just drain my cooled wort from the valve installed at the bottom front of my BK. I use a short piece of hose with a venturi aerator piece i made installed inline. nother piece of hose on the end of that to amplify the venturi effect, then it goes thru a fine mesh strainer before hitting the bucket to catch any particulate that might still be left in it

It doesn't add any bad flavors so it doesn't really matter. I pour mine through a strainer simply due to volume. I want as much beer as I can get in the fermenter with enough headspace to not have a blowoff nightmare. Blowoff is fine, but there's a point of ridiculousness.

I, too, just pour mine until I get to the volume I'm looking for. That usually leaves me an inch or so in the kettle anyway, which eliminates most of the trub.

Yep, I do a nice big, but careful dump into the fermenter, leaving the REALLY thick trub in the kettle but not worrying too much about the floaties. I like to have some trub in the fermenter, my spigot is a good inch up from the bottom of the bucket and I'd hate to have perfectly good beer left down there after transferring.

When brewing really gentle beers like Helles, I try a bit harder to keep trub out of the fermenter, but I don't get any real husky flavor as it is so I don't try THAT much harder.

I use a paint strainer and pull the trub out of the wort. Then I siphon through my CFC into the fermenter.

I use a mesh strainer...the weave on it isnt very tight so it captures the bigger particles. The rest I dont worry about. It will drop out during fermentation anyway and just rack over the top of it carefully. Sometimes I will use a tighter mesh strainer from primary to secondary, but that is generally only if I was using a lot of additives...pumpkin,orange peel, etc..

Back