Best Method for Sanitizing a Bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lhommedieu

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Please forgive the newbie question but what is the best way to sanitize a bucket? The directions called for adding Star san to water in the bucket - but only up to the 5 gallon mark. This left the inside of the top of the bucket unsanitized. I figured that pouring out the santitizing liquid slowly from the bucket as I rotated it would probably be ok - but now I'm wondering if I just shouldn't have dropped a clean cloth or sponge in the solution and wiped down the outside...

Please forgive the newbie question but what is the best way to sanitize a bucket? The directions called for adding Star san to water in the bucket - but only up to the 5 gallon mark. This left the inside of the top of the bucket unsanitized. I figured that pouring out the santitizing liquid slowly from the bucket as I rotated it would probably be ok - but now I'm wondering if I just shouldn't have dropped a clean cloth or sponge in the solution and wiped down the outside...
sanitize a brush and get the top of the bucket. get the outside edge as well. and dont forget the lid

I put about 1/2 a gallon of star san solution in my bucket, put the lid on, and shake the heck out of it so it coats the entire bucket and lid. Then I dump it out and rack in to the bucket...

sanitize a brush and get the top of the bucket. get the outside edge as well. and dont forget the lid

Perhaps I'm being overly careful, but I'd advise against using a brush on a plastic bucket, especially something with harder bristles. Could create small scratches than can harbor bacteria.

I've used a soft rag, I've also done the partial fill and shake way. With Star-San at least, the foam is just as effective as the liquid, so it still gets the job done.

OK - I won't worry then - the Star san foam came up over the top and I let it sit for a while.

Next time I'll take your advice and cover/shake/use a sanitized cloth.

Sounds pretty obvious now but at the time I was wondering, "Where the hell is all this foam coming from?' lol

I have a high quality spray bottle and use it to thoroughly could the bucket. Haven't had a problem yet. Aside from being quick it makes your Starsan last longer.

This has been the best way I've found to use Starsan too. I mix it up with distilled water and it lasts a long time.

I have a couple of sponges that I use, I bought them new and have only used them for sanitizing.

I put the lid into the top of the bucket/pail with the airlock grommet facing down. Pour starsan all over the lid to run into the bucket. Then slowly pour it down the inside from the top down as I rotate it. Then put the storage jug under the spigot (it & mounting hole already cleaned & re-assembled),& open the spigot to sanitize the inside of it too.

Back