Best Home Brew Flavor Retention Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sergio_69

Reaction score
Ok, I love beer, but I do not drink a lot of it, maybe a bottle or so a week, what is the best home brew recipe you have tried that retains its flavor the longest. I have read some threads where the brew sounds/looks like it would be a great beer, but then I read where it lost it flavor as it aged. I am looking for a great beer, with great head and flavor that will be easy for a newbie to brew that will have a great flavor in the last bottle I drink, which will of course cause me to brew more.

Too big a request?

:fro:

This says Red, Stout or Porter to me...I would stay clear of anything like an IPA/IIPA/APA.

I would say a Russian Imperial Stout will be a good beer that retains it's flavor pretty well and ages good...

+1 RIS. higher alcohol, lower hops flavor/aroma both equal better flavor stability. might wanna use oxy caps if you plan on keeping this around a long time.

Brews with darker roasted grains seem to age better than their lighter cousins. Also, hoppier beers will change their hop character over time. The hop aroma seems to fade first, followed by a subsiding in the flavor hops. The Bittering hop character tends to become more prominent over time, as the others fade.

As a general recommendation, Stouts tend to age well.

Thanks for all of the above replies, all sound great and delicious, any specific recipes for extract to start, partial mash as I progress and of course AG when I have the equipment and experience you all can recommend?

I have been reading YooperBrew's posts and recipes as well as ed worts, but I am assuming both of their recipes are out.

good red,
good porter,
good stout,
good ris
recipes?

Buy Briess dark extract (or equivalent), about 1 lb. per gallon. Buy one ounce of hops per 3 gallons -- maybe Hallertauer, but any other hop would be okay. Buy an ale yeast you think will be good; dry yeast is easier and cheaper.

Boil water. Add LME. Stir thoroughly. Add ~.25 oz hops per 3 gal. Wait 15 min. Add ~.25 oz hops per 3 gal. Wait 15 min. Add the rest of the hops (and Irish moss if you use it.) Wait 15 minutes. Cool. Put in your fermenter and aerate. Check original gravity. Add yeast, then add an airlock and forget about it overnight. Check the next day to make sure some action is going on (if not, pitch any yeast you can get your hands on into the fermenter as soon as you can -- DANGER, Will Robinson). If it has activity, forget about it for twelve days.

Day 12, measure gravity. Day 14 measure gravity; if it's the same as 12, then bottle.

Ta-da! You have a Simple Stout. :)

(What this recipe lacks in sophistication it makes up for in ease of preparation -- like pizza!)

Ok, I am a newbie here, but after reading this i have to ask why would this not be a good one for sergio_69 to brew? Is it because it is amber it does not fit under red?

they say to age it so wouldn't it be ok?

Also, i mistakenly thought ipa or iipa were overly hopped to allow for long boat trips so it would retain its flavor and be preserved?

Just remember I am a newbe so I have to ask the dumb questions.

Pyramid Snowcap Ale Clone
Author Brent Rannow
BYO Issue July 1998

An amber, full-bodied, winter warmer. Great for the cold holiday season. (5 gallons)
Ingredients:
• 6 lbs. Coopers light extract
• 3 lbs. Briess light dry extract
• 1 lbs. crystal malt, 80° Lovibond
• 8 oz. DeWolf-Cosyns chocolate malt
• 4 oz. flaked wheat
• 1 tsp. Irish moss
• 2 oz. Chinook hops (12.5% alpha acid) for 60 min.
• 1 oz. Willamette hops (5.2% alpha acid) for 30 min.
• 1 oz. East Kent Golding hops (6.2% alpha acid) for 2 min.
• Wyeast 1338 (European ale) or Coopers ale yeast
• 1 cup dry malt extract for priming
Step by Step:
Steep crystal and chocolate malts in 3 gal. of 150° to 180° F water for 15 to 20 min.
Remove spent grain. Mix in malt extracts and flaked wheat, then bring to a boil. Total boil is 60 min. After hot break, add Chinook hops and boil 30 min. Add Willamette hops and boil 15 min. more. Add Irish moss and boil 13 min. more. Add East Kent Goldings in last 2 min. of boil. Cool wort and transfer to fermenter, straining out hops and flaked wheat. Top up to 5 gal. with cold, preboiled water. Cool below 80° F and pitch yeast.
Ferment at 68° F for 10 days. Transfer to secondary for 14 days. Prime and bottle. Age several months.
OG = 1.065
FG = 1.020

Pyramid Snowcap Ale clone
(5 gallons/19 L, all-grain)
OG = 1.071 FG = 1.017
IBU = 30 SRM = 28 ABV = 7.0%

Ingredients
13.5 lbs. (6.1 kg) 2-row pale malt
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) crystal malt (80 °L)
0.33 lbs. (0.15 kg) chocolate malt
1 tsp. Irish moss (15 mins)
6 AAU Willamette hops (60 min)(1.2 oz./34 g of 5% alpha acids)
5 AAU Willamette hops (30 min)(1.0 oz./28 g of 5% alpha acids)
1 oz. East Kent Golding hops (2 min)
Wyeast 1338 (European ale) or Coopers ale yeast
1 cup dried malt extract (for priming)

Step by Step
Mash at 154 °F (68 °C). Boil for 90 minutes, adding hops when indicated. Cool wort and siphon to fermenter. Ferment at 70 °F (21 °C)

Thanks for all of the above replies, all sound great and delicious, any specific recipes for extract to start, partial mash as I progress and of course AG when I have the equipment and experience you all can recommend?

I have been reading YooperBrew's posts and recipes as well as ed worts, but I am assuming both of their recipes are out.

good red,
good porter,
good stout,
good ris
recipes?

Sergio_69 if everyone agrees its a fit for your request here is my favorite, a friend brewed it for me last year.

Ok, I am a newbie here, but after reading this i have to ask why would this not be a good one for sergio_69 to brew? Is it because it is amber it does not fit under red?

It seems like a nice beer. :)

Any beer would be okay... but I think you're referring to the fading of aroma and flavor hops with time. This beer isn't too aroma-hoppy, so it would probably store just fine.

Also, i mistakenly thought ipa or iipa were overly hopped to allow for long boat trips so it would retain its flavor and be preserved?

I guess modern IPAs aren't the same as what they were actually shipping around the world at the time, at least according to the following sources:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/150
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_Pale_Ale

Modern IPAs from Britain are usually in the 3.5-5% ABV range, which of course no one but a sadist would water any further. If they were brewing 9-10% ABV beers, though, they could save money and space by shipping the beer at higher-than-regular-strength and watering it down locally in whichever colony that particular barrel ended up. :)

Most of us are newbs around here. :)

Buy Briess dark extract (or equivalent), about 1 lb. per gallon. Buy one ounce of hops per 3 gallons -- maybe Hallertauer, but any other hop would be okay. Buy an ale yeast you think will be good; dry yeast is easier and cheaper.

Boil water. Add LME. Stir thoroughly. Add ~.25 oz hops per 3 gal. Wait 15 min. Add ~.25 oz hops per 3 gal. Wait 15 min. Add the rest of the hops (and Irish moss if you use it.) Wait 15 minutes. Cool. Put in your fermenter and aerate. Check original gravity. Add yeast, then add an airlock and forget about it overnight. Check the next day to make sure some action is going on (if not, pitch any yeast you can get your hands on into the fermenter as soon as you can -- DANGER, Will Robinson). If it has activity, forget about it for twelve days.

Day 12, measure gravity. Day 14 measure gravity; if it's the same as 12, then bottle.

Ta-da! You have a Simple Stout. :)

(What this recipe lacks in sophistication it makes up for in ease of preparation -- like pizza!)

Thanks for this one , has anyone ever tried this recipe?

Pyramid Snowcap Ale Clone
Author Brent Rannow
BYO Issue July 1998

An amber, full-bodied, winter warmer. Great for the cold holiday season. (5 gallons)
Ingredients:
• 6 lbs. Coopers light extract
• 3 lbs. Briess light dry extract
• 1 lbs. crystal malt, 80° Lovibond
• 8 oz. DeWolf-Cosyns chocolate malt
• 4 oz. flaked wheat
• 1 tsp. Irish moss
• 2 oz. Chinook hops (12.5% alpha acid) for 60 min.
• 1 oz. Willamette hops (5.2% alpha acid) for 30 min.
• 1 oz. East Kent Golding hops (6.2% alpha acid) for 2 min.
• Wyeast 1338 (European ale) or Coopers ale yeast
• 1 cup dry malt extract for priming
Step by Step:
Steep crystal and chocolate malts in 3 gal. of 150° to 180° F water for 15 to 20 min.
Remove spent grain. Mix in malt extracts and flaked wheat, then bring to a boil. Total boil is 60 min. After hot break, add Chinook hops and boil 30 min. Add Willamette hops and boil 15 min. more. Add Irish moss and boil 13 min. more. Add East Kent Goldings in last 2 min. of boil. Cool wort and transfer to fermenter, straining out hops and flaked wheat. Top up to 5 gal. with cold, preboiled water. Cool below 80° F and pitch yeast.
Ferment at 68° F for 10 days. Transfer to secondary for 14 days. Prime and bottle. Age several months.
OG = 1.065
FG = 1.020

Pyramid Snowcap Ale clone
(5 gallons/19 L, all-grain)
OG = 1.071 FG = 1.017
IBU = 30 SRM = 28 ABV = 7.0%

Ingredients
13.5 lbs. (6.1 kg) 2-row pale malt
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) crystal malt (80 °L)
0.33 lbs. (0.15 kg) chocolate malt
1 tsp. Irish moss (15 mins)
6 AAU Willamette hops (60 min)(1.2 oz./34 g of 5% alpha acids)
5 AAU Willamette hops (30 min)(1.0 oz./28 g of 5% alpha acids)
1 oz. East Kent Golding hops (2 min)
Wyeast 1338 (European ale) or Coopers ale yeast
1 cup dried malt extract (for priming)

Step by Step
Mash at 154 °F (68 °C). Boil for 90 minutes, adding hops when indicated. Cool wort and siphon to fermenter. Ferment at 70 °F (21 °C)

Thanks for this, anyone ever try it?

http://www.homebrewersassociation.o...ssia-with-love-a-homebrewers-imperial-odyssey

I had read the above article about an imperial stout, not sure of the complexity of it, but maybe someone can simplify it.

Bed o' Deer Stout

All Grain Recipe

Ingredients for 6.0 U.S. gallons (27.3 liters)

16.0 lb (7.25 kg) Maris Otter Malt
3.0 lb (1.36 kg) Munich Malt
1.0 lb (0.45 kg) Crystal 80
1.0 lb (0.45 kg) CaraMunich Malt
1.0 lb (0.45 kg) Chocolate Malt
1.0 lb (0.45 kg) Special Roast Malt
0.75 lb (340 g) Special B Malt
0.75 lb (340 g) Roasted Barley
1.5 lb (0.68 kg) Flaked Barley
1.0 lb (0.45 kg) corn sugar (boil 90 minutes)
1.25 oz (35 g) Northern Brewer (9.0% alpha acid) 60 minutes
1.25 oz (35 g) Challenger (7.5% alpha acid) 60 minutes
1.0 oz (28 g) Target (10.0% alpha acid) (20 minutes)
2.8 oz (80 g) Corn sugar (priming)
1 gallon starter: White Labs 013/Wyeast 1028 London Ale yeast

Original Gravity: 1.115
Final Gravity: 1.030
IBU: 75
SRM: 55
Directions

Mash grains at 154° F (68° C) for 60 minutes. Sparge, add corn sugar and boil for 90 minutes. Add hops as indicated. Ferment at 65° F (18° C) to 68° F (20° C) for two to three weeks. Rack to secondary fermenter and condition for four to six weeks. Bottle or keg at 1.8 to 2.0 volumes of CO2. Age and serve at cellar temperature.

Partial Mash Option: Mash Munich malt and specialty grains, sparge, and add sugar with 8.50 lb (3.85 kg) light DME. Follow remainder of recipe.

Extract Option: Forgo the flaked barley and steep specialty grains for 30 minutes at 150° F (66° C) to 160° F (71° C). Replace the base grains with 11.25 lb. (5.10 kg) light DME and add sugar. Increase hops by 25 percent if not doing a full-wort boil. Follow remainder of recipe.

Back