Best general purpose hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCuckerson

Reaction score
I have been substituting Cluster in for other hops in some recipes. I do not find much difference in either flavor or aroma. The Clusters are about 1/2 the price of all the other hops at the local hbs. What do you guys/gals feel is a good all-around hops? Clusters seems to work everywhere I use it and its cheap!

Depends on what styles you brew...

I brew alot of IPAs and APAs and Blondes, I use A LOT of Cascade, Columbus, Centennial... when I brew my seasonal ales, then I use all sorts of stuff that I would never carry a large quantity of.

I've been using Columbus for bittering in most of my ales lately. I vary the flavor/aroma hops.

Cluster is an old variety that over the last couple of decades has been mostly replaced by newer high alpha bittering hops. But as you have found out you can sometimes but it at a good price and they do make a decent general purpose bittering hop. On the basis of economy only what you have to look at is the price in relation to the alpha acid %. An ounce of Magnum 16% for $4.00 is cheaper to bitter with than an ounce of Cluster 7% for $2.00. That said, I like Clusters for certain brews and hope they continue to grow them. :mug:

Northern Brewer, Cascade, Simcoe, Challenger, Spalt are all kick-ass dual purpose hops.

Back