Best Fermentation Chamber Option for Me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nosnum08

Reaction score
I plan to ferment in my basement. From what I can tell I doubt my basement gets over 70 degrees (I live in South East MI) very often therefore if I purchase a chest freezer I doubt the compressor will have to kick on very often. I am okay with this because I just see the freezer life being extended. I found a relatively new 14.8 CF chest freezer on craig's list that I am going to check out today for $125. I am probably going to build the light bulb in a paint can project that has been so popular on these forums also and either build or buy a dual stage temp controller. My question to you is, is the chest freezer my best option? I am not sure I can do much better than $125!

Thanks in advance

Nosnum08 said:
I plan to ferment in my basement. From what I can tell I doubt my basement gets over 70 degrees (I live in South East MI) very often therefore if I purchase a chest freezer I doubt the compressor will have to kick on very often. I am okay with this because I just see the freezer life being extended. I found a relatively new 14.8 CF chest freezer on craig's list that I am going to check out today for $125. I am probably going to build the light bulb in a paint can project that has been so popular on these forums also and either build or buy a dual stage temp controller. My question to you is, is the chest freezer my best option? I am not sure I can do much better than $125!

Thanks in advance

Nooooooo!!!! Make it a keezer. :)

I bought a 5 CF for kegging a couple of weeks ago. As of now I figured 3 kegs would be plenty! Talk to me in about a year and ask me if it is still enough!

Nosnum08 said:
I bought a 5 CF for kegging a couple of weeks ago. As of now I figured 3 kegs would be plenty! Talk to me in about a year and ask me if it is still enough!

Its an insane hobby!! But rewarding. I built a ferm chamber using a small dorm size fridge. Got the fridge for 30 on Craigslist. Hold about 6 carboys at 64 with it barely kicking on.

I use the very same size freezer as my fermentation chamber with the dual stage Love controller. I can make any style of beer with this type of temperature control. I would jump of the freezer if its in good shape. I have 2 one I use as my chamber the other I use as my cold storage chamber, holds 8, maybe 9 corny kegs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get the freeze. $125 is a great price on a freezer that big. You can get a controller and use it as a ferm chamber if you want or turn it into a keezer.

If you keg or are going to, one refrigeration appliance is not enough.

A freezer like that for a buck twenty-five is a great deal and a good place to start

Get the freeze. $125 is a great price on a freezer that big. You can get a controller and use it as a ferm chamber if you want or turn it into a keezer.

If you keg or are going to, one refrigeration appliance is not enough.

A freezer like that for a buck twenty-five is a great deal and a good place to start

This.

As for chest freezer vs some other temp control fermentation chamber, it really depends on your plans for brewing going forward. If you never envision fermenting in Sankes or doing 10+ gallon batches, I would say it gives you just about the best footprint and ease of use you could hope for. Not the greatest if you are going to have multiple batches at different temps at the same time, perhaps, but again, this is dependent on what styles you brew and how often.

I did, now I just need to figure out which controller to purchase, any reccomendations? Thanks for all of the input!

Back