Best false bottom for sanke keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperiorBrew

Reaction score
I see this one but seem to remember reading there is a better one

abt-false-bottom.jpg

Any ideas or suggestions?

I use this one from morebeer.com. It doesn't cover the entire bottom, but also fits easily through a 12" hole and has very little deas space underneath. It works great (after I modified it). They send a rubber o-ring to hold it in place. It doesn't, and I ended up with a clogged valve the first time. I figured out that a hose clamp on the pickup tube can hold it down tight. I think you'd have to do something similar with the other ones too. If it doesn't have tight seal, grains will get by.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/19807/102318

6132.jpg

Here's a view of the inside of my MLT to show you the clamp holding it in place.

inside_mlt.JPG

SuperiorBrew said:

abt-false-bottom.jpg

I got this same false bottom from someone who was selling a bunch of brew gear. I can't see how you could get any "better".....except for sealing the hole around the dip tube. A 1/4" ss washer with a hose clamp over it should work perfectly. I'm still not sold on the hinged design....the crack in the middle might let too much grain thru...plus it's too expensive. Sabco is overpriced.

SuperiorBrew said:

abt-false-bottom.jpg

i have this same false bottom and i like it, but everytime i brew a hefeweizen i end up with a lot of grain that gets through and ends up scorching on the bottom. i don't know if it's falling through the holes or if it's falling through the hole with the dip tube. i'm gonna try covering that up and see if it still happens.

Do you have it secured tight against the bottom of the keg? I use a hose clamp to hold it down and haven't had any problems since. See pic above.

Lil' Sparky said:
Do you have it secured tight against the bottom of the keg? I use a hose clamp to hold it down and haven't had any problems since. See pic above.

i can't say for sure, but i know it only happens when i do hefeweizens.

Pico uses a copper one, but I haven't bothered pricing it.

Figured the Sabco pricing method was invovled...

Back