Best false bottom for mashing in a keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCalBrewin

Reaction score
Keg has finally been cut! I'm looking for a decent false bottom to convert my keg for mashing in, Also looking for weld less valve/bulkhead/dip tube combo.
Any suggestions?

Look up user JAYBIRD on the forum. He's very active on the forum as a brewer, and also happens to make some of the best false bottoms out there. He'll have available stock for keggles.

Looking at a full kit from brewhardware.com, has anyone tried that kit?

Bobby (brewhardware) has been an inspiration for me from the beginning, so when it was time to move to AG setup and I converted a keg, I bought all my hardware (valves, thermometer, sight-glass and false bottom) from him.

15+ in. false bottoms are expensive and I only know of 2 places to get one right now: Jaybird in No. Cali. and Bobby at brewhardware. His false bottom was a few $$ cheaper with shipping (I believe) and I just had him send the other stuff because his prices were just about as good as anything else I found.
I installed everything without any problems and am very confident that he supplied me with the most suitable options on the market, mainly because I have seen his brewing evolve over the years and the dude absolutely knows what he's talking about. I found a half in. dip tube which you will need for his (he supplies them) and cut to extend into middle of keggle. I think Jaybirds false bottoms have a smaller hole in his false bottoms so a smaller dip tube is required. I like the idea of larger dip tube personally. I'll let you know how it works when my wife actually take the 2 babies for a few hours and I can finally brew again. It's been almost 2 years!

My only complaint would be that the sight glass doesn't come with any 1/2 gal. markers because I'm a freak like that.

wow thats wordy sry, good luck!!

I'm liking the brew hardware kit because of the bigger dip tube, idk how much of a difference it would actually make, and also a few bucks cheaper. However I also like the extra screen you can get from jaybird, very interesting. But as most brewers, I am on a tight, tight budget.

For somebody with the screen name norcalbrewin, you must support NorCalBrewing and their sale of Jaybirds false bottoms. Aside from the name coincidence here, I have two jay bird false bottoms and think they are just great!

Yeah I got one from Jaybird and it's great. They were good to work with as well. My welder slightly angled the coupler for the dip tube so it seemed to offset about 1/4" from the center of the keg, but it was no problem for NorCalBrewing to adjust.

I built my own... a piece of 16ga SS sheet metal, a 3/16" cobalt drill, and over 700 holes later I have a FB for about $20.
My keggle is bottom draining.

conneryis007 said:
For somebody with the screen name norcalbrewin, you must support NorCalBrewing and their sale of Jaybirds false bottoms. Aside from the name coincidence here, I have two jay bird false bottoms and think they are just great!

Purely coincidence, and I believe they are "Nor-Cal Brewing Solutions"

acidrain said:
I built my own... a piece of 16ga SS sheet metal, a 3/16" cobalt drill, and over 700 holes later I have a FB for about $20.
My keggle is bottom draining.

What did you use to cut it with? How long to drill it?

Back