Best dry hop Simcoe, Amarillo or Centennial?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desabat

Reaction score
I've brewed a few batches already (+-20) but just recently resumed since moving to a new place and setting up a 2.5gl kitchen biab set up.

I'm about to dry hop my first ipa in the keg and have 2 oz bags each of Simcoe, Amarillo and Centennial whole hops. 2oz seems like a good amount to go with for the DH addition so for the sake of not opening all the bags and increasing hop oxidation I'm thinking of choosing a single hop to DH with. Hop schedule for this beer was a combination of all three hops but more Centennial+Cascade for flavoring more Simcoe closer to FO and more Amarillo in the whirlpool. Which one should I go with? :mug:

My vote's Centennial. But then it's like I'm brewing from 20 years ago, so grain of salt, etc. I use Centennial and EKG together. Nothing more than Goose Island's IPA, which I know well.

Just a confirmation on your amount. To me, 2 oz. in 2.5 gallons seems like alot (I do a total of 4 in 12). I've seen ranges from about mine to .6 or so oz./gallon, just haven't seen this high, that's all. Do what you want, of course!

My vote's Centennial. But then it's like I'm brewing from 20 years ago, so grain of salt, etc. I use Centennial and EKG together. Nothing more than Goose Island's IPA, which I know well.

Just a confirmation on your amount. To me, 2 oz. in 2.5 gallons seems like alot (I do a total of 4 in 12). I've seen ranges from about mine to .6 or so oz./gallon, just haven't seen this high, that's all. Do what you want, of course!

Might bring it down to 1 - 1.5 oz thanks!

I would go all Simcoe personally. Simcoe/Amarillo is good too but I prefer Simcoe.

Never tried simcoe and centennial but i am deeply in love with the amarillo peachy flavour when used in late additions and dry. But I guess, each one of them is great in their own way!

Tallying up
1 for Centennial
1 for Simcoe
1 for Amarillo
1 for Simcoe and Amarillo
1 for can't go wrong with any combo

Kind of intrigued at the Simcoe/Amarillo and might open both bags. 50/50?

Back