Best Commercial Pumpkin Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rivertown Pumpkin Ale is the only one i've found that i like. so far its the only one that i've had that didn't seem like a novelty and they were actually trying to make a tasty beer.

Avery's Rumpkin. Yum, ages nicely.

Really not a fan of the over-spiced pumpkin beers...basically all of them. Still, I give it a shot. Had probably 15-20 different ones this year. SA Fat Jack is the most balanced and tastes like beer with a hint of spice. I liked their Harvest Saison too.

Two Roads Roadsmary's baby was nice too. Low abv but with a little rum characteristic from the barrels to compliment the spice.

But can you ACTUALLY taste the pumpkin? Most of what I read seems to suggests that pumpkin itself contributes essentially no flavor and is only included in those recipes so that it technically be called a "pumpkin beer." Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Pumpkin absolutely adds flavor, and yes I can taste it in the finished brew. It is a very subtle, light flavor that is easily overwhelmed by other adjuncts (like most pumpkin pie spices). In my own recipe, the pumpkin comes through as a light, sweet-ish, squash-like flavor. I add vanilla beans in the secondary which adds a smooth, light flavor that I think complements the pumpkin well vs. overwhelming it completely.

Either Weyerbacher's Imperial Pumpkin or Long Trail's Imperial Pumpkin. They're both very good - nice, smooth beers with a good balance of malt and spice up front with a mild pumpkin finish. The spice mix is different on the two beers so comparing is fun. And neither one tries to taste like a glass of pumpkin pie.

My usual top 2 are Southern Tier's Pumking & Weyerbacher's Imperial Pumpkin. I like that they're at different ends of the pumpkin beer spectrum.

I haven't had one this year yet, but last year I had a couple of Long Trail's Imperial Pumpkin's at the brewery and it was outstanding! I also recently had a Smuttynose pumpkin beer (forget the name) and I found it to be very balanced and not too 'spicy'.

1. Wolaver's Pumpkin Ale: Wolaver's is the beer drinker's pumpkin. I'd drink it year round if it was available....

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew[/QUOTE]

Yes, Wolavers pumpkin is a great choice...a good go to pumpkin...it also ages decent if thats your thing, i did so by accident and it was still good.

Wood chuck pumpkin cider. Bought two cases, and this year dogfish punkin was MUCH better than last year

I just had Troegs master of pumpkins recently. I liked it a lot. Def one of the better pumpkin beers out there.

I really liked Alaskan's Pumpkin Porter. Bought two 6 packs of it this year, but it's no longer available around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back