Best commercial APA's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoomzilla

Reaction score
What is your "definitive" American Pale Ale? I'm sure this will vary by region but I'd like to hear what beers you consider to be the ultimate, go-to session beer in the APA category.

Classic Favorite: Sierra Nevada Pale
Tap Room Only Favorite: Row 2, Hill 56 by Russian River Brewing Co.
When I see it: Stone Brewing Pale Ale

I recommend all three of these on any given day! In fact, Stone Brewing Pale Ale - See you at 5:00!

For me it has to be sierra Nevada. It is what I think of when someone says APA. It defines the style fore me. It is the beer that made me think there was something other than BMC available. Is it my favorite APA? Probably not but it is THE American Pale Ale in my mind.

Dale's Pale Ale. There are some beers out there that the breweries call ipa's but are much less hoppy then this "voluminously hopped mutha of a pale ale".

I wondered how much love Sierra would get. I'm not a big fan, its ok... not great. I actually like my APA's a little less aggressively hopped. I think Sierra is a bit too up front with the hops and not enough malt profile. Schlafly from St. Louis has a real mellow APA that I love. Bells also has a great APA that's not too offensive in the hops dept.

I completely agree with the Schlafly APA. It's been one of my favorite go to beers for years. In fact...I'm going to go buy a six pack.

SNPA for me as well. I've had tons of beers, but SNPA is still delicious. It spurned my love for cascades. Plus it's readily available at most places.

Add me onto the SNPA list as well. Luckily the clone I made is a dead ringer too!

Tried Lagunitas New Dogtown for the first time after hearing about it on the brewing network. It was incredible.

Otherwise Dale's.

jstuts2260 said:
I completely agree with the Schlafly APA. It's been one of my favorite go to beers for years. In fact...I'm going to go buy a six pack.

I third this. While I like SNPA, Schlafly has something special with their dry hopped APA. I'm on a hop timeout right now so I picked up their summer lager today instead. Their APA is only 7.99 most times I see it as well so it's a great value.

Peeper Ale by Maine Beer Company. A little over priced in the bottle, but if you find this on tap, it is perfection.

I'm really liking Alaska Freeride pale ale lately.
Dales is good for a go to session pale ale.
As far as the local stuff I've been drinking (and cloning very well for that matter) Ranger Creek oatmeal pale ale.
Real Ale makes a great one called full moon rye pale ale, also local.

I like Flying Dog's Doggie Style Classic. Super finish like SNPA, but different backbone.

Dale's Pale Ale is phenomenal but I consider it an IPA. I fell in love with New Belgium Dig on tap (big diff than bottle) this spring. Love that Sorachi Ace! Sweetwater 420 was my go to beer for years.

Like many, SNPA was part of my craft beer conversion. I don't drink it much anymore, though, b/c the caramel malt is too much for me.

Peeper is amazing, and while I like Dale's, it's technically a bit too high in ABV to be an APA.

Mirror Pond would probably get my vote. Soooooooooooo good and soooooooooooo drinkable!

Tallgrass 8-Bit is a good APA. Also dig the local selections as well: Nebrask Brewing Co. Cardinal Pale Ale, and Upstream Brewing Co. Capital Pale Ale. Cardinal has won some medals. I think the best I've had in a while (almost a year ago now) was the Pale Ale from Potosi Brewing in Potosi, WI.

Back