best clarifying agent for cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ODI3

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just finished my first batch of cider. I fermented 20 gal of UV pasturized cider using lager yeast at 50 F. Then I coldcrashed for 6 months.

Unfortunately after the 6 months It still isnt completely clear but still a bit hazy.

What does everyone recommend to get rid of the last bit of haze? I would use whirlfloc, but unforunately I think you pretty much have to boil it for it to be effective, anyone have any alternative suggestions?

And my second question: What does pectic enzyme do, and why should i add it?

you use pectic enzyme before you ferment to clear the cider. The pectin is whats causing the haze probably. It breaks down the pectin allowing for a much clearer cider. Mine come out sparkling after 6mo.

If it's cold, try this method: http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2012/06/how-to-clear-your-beer-with-gelatin.html

You might be able to use the pectic enzyme after fermentation as well, but I'm not sure... I haven't had to.

You have to match the fining agent to the problem causing the haze. First off what is wrong with a hazy cider? If its pectin no fining agent will clear it, you need to add pectinase to digest the pectin, liquid pectinase is easy to add at the stage allthough you might have to add a higher than normal dose as it is not as effective supposedly in alcohol after the fermentation is done. If its protein haze, something like sparkaloid or superkleer would work well. But really, if it tastes good, if all the yeast has settled out, making it clear is just a looks thing and wont do anything to make it taste better if you just plan on drinking it yourself. WVMJ

I kegged mine and eventually it cleared after a few weeks. It was extremely dangerous at 6.5%.

Liquor quicks super Kleer works best for me. It's a two part system that makes the worst of my ciders to be wine clear in 12-24 hours

Back