Best cider ever.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Graff is wonderful! Have been tasting a couple bottles over the past couple weeks. I did mine with all light malt extract cause the local homebrew store was out of amber malt extract but it tastes awesome.

I don't have access to LHBS regularly and I'm itching to make some Graff. I don't plan on the Hops, and don't understand the wheat thing yet, but in place of the DME, would this be a substitute? I have access to Whole Foods!
I found this listed in the GaP thread.

Eden Foods - Barley Malt Syrup, Organic

Organic Barley Malt Syrup...
" ... barley, sprouted, kiln roasted, and slowly cooked into a thick, dark brown syrup- an ancient process using only the grain's own enzymes created in the sprouting process...
76% maltose, 16% glucose, 6% sucrose, 2% fructose and lactose. "

Seriously wanting that "tastes good after a couple weeks" action...

One question please: Can graff be bottled still in wine bottles or would it need to be stabilized?
thanks

When in doubt, stabilize. it's easy to stabilize and I would imagine you would get a tiny amount of carbonation if you didn't. worst case scenario is the yeast doing something crazy and making bottle bombs. so just stabilize to be safe.

I don't have access to LHBS regularly and I'm itching to make some Graff. I don't plan on the Hops, and don't understand the wheat thing yet, but in place of the DME, would this be a substitute? I have access to Whole Foods!
I found this listed in the GaP thread.

Eden Foods - Barley Malt Syrup, Organic

Organic Barley Malt Syrup...
" ... barley, sprouted, kiln roasted, and slowly cooked into a thick, dark brown syrup- an ancient process using only the grain's own enzymes created in the sprouting process...
76% maltose, 16% glucose, 6% sucrose, 2% fructose and lactose. "

Seriously wanting that "tastes good after a couple weeks" action...

Haha, funny you mention the barley malt syrup. Let me tell you my friend, I have a 60 LB bucket sitting in my kitchen right now. I am no expert on the makeup of barley syrup compared to LME but I can tell you I have done 2 batches of Graff exactly to recipe with the barley syrup using 2lbs per 5 gallon batch and they come out EXACTLY the same as previous recipes using LME. I found a kick ass deal for a 60LB bucket of barley malt syrup for $40 and I researched it and didn't find much of a difference between barley malt syrup and LME, and I figured at $40 I really don't care as long as it works.

It has worked in Graff just as LME would both times I have used it. I have never used it in a pure beer application because I do all grain.

As for the hops? Don't use them if you don't want to, most people don't understand what very faint bitterness and aroma adds to the overall drink ability and flavor. I can tell you I always use a dash of hops and boil with the steeped grains and DME in some water for 30 mins. I feel the hint of bitter aroma balances the residual sweet to leave the mouth with a clean palate. But this is a matter of taste, and we all have individual tastes and you know what you like. It is worth the try if you decide the recipe is a keeper for you.

Now for the torrified wheat. It is all for show, torrified wheat adds nothing to the flavor profile and certainly doesn't help the cider get crystal clear in a timely manner. But I love my cider to have the head of a good beer, like the head of a sierra nevada. If you prefer a crystal clear cider with a thin lacing then the wheat is not for you. If you like an ice cold cider, one that fogs the glass and keeps a consistent head while drinking........letting all who see you understand, this cider is cold hearty nourishment, not some white wine ***** drink then I would recommend you use the torrified wheat. The torrified wheat keeps the head lofty and consistent throughout the drinking and lets people know you drink for nourishment and man powers.

If that avatar photo is you then I'd say the torrified wheat is doing its job. You look about as well-nourished as I do... :D

I have three batches on which to comment.

My G1/G2 was 4 gallons of apple juice with 32 ozs *ME, Wyeast 3056.

I was using a 3 gallon bottling bucket with a 2 quart reserve. I had 2 qts of primed belgian trippel in there, poured Apple jack in the bucket and bottled it as "G1". It is still kinda rough, great potential.

When I got down to 2qts in the bucket I racked in the rest of the Apple Jack and labeled it G2.

Both were bottled 06-28-09. The G2 is currently serving and is quite good. The G1 should be ready by Halloween.

I brewed G3 on 06-30-09, bottled 07-18-09, 2gal Apple Juice on 0.3# (4.8ozs) Crystal 60 with half ounce of malted wheat and 2.0# Marris Otter @ 155°F for 60 minutes with 0.3 ozs 4.4% Fuggles at (30) in a 30 minute boil. I run about 80% eff with my BIAB system.

For G4 I am going back to the Wyeast 3056 and all teuton parts. Probably Saaz hops with Munich 3L as base malt and Munich 60-120L for sweetness.

Figures I would like Graff, my favorite meads are all braggots.

HTH.

Same thing but you add 4-6oz of chocolate malt to the steeping process.

I don't like the chocolate grains in there tho as much as I like it with out.

I made some Graff and everyone really likes it, more than the apfelwein too:eek:. I had an idea to use some chocolate malt I had left over from a porter recipe and found your post. I like darker beers and was curious about how this changes the taste? I'm thinking of just making a few 1 gallon test batches. Any ideas?

I've got a batch right now in bottles. I know its still a bit green (2 weeks in bottles), but it tastes more like a champagne than an apple taste. I followed the recipe perfectly and used Notty yeast. I don't remember off hand what hops I used, but it was in the AA range. I have no hops flavor and very little if any malt flavor. I only chilled a few bottles and the rest is still waiting.

Just kegged this last week and it tastes great. So much better then the plain apple cider I fermented. That was vinegary and disgusting. I didn't add the hops but I'm going to try it next time. Thanks!!

Back