Best cider ever.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What really does it is, it doesn't taste like apple hooch. I think montrachet is the worst yeast ever made.

Is that a potshot? lol.

:mug::tank::mug:

I must say that any other apple cider/wine recipe I have made tastes like hooch until the 6 month to 1 year mark. I am not much of a wine drinker though. This stuff tastes ready to drink after 2 weeks. Then again there is less alcohol in it which prolly has something to do with it.

I can't wait to tweak the next batch....orange zest, honey, maybe even cinnamon or some type of sugar to boost the ABV.

Oh lord :rockin:

Is that a potshot? lol.

:mug::tank::mug:

I must say that any other apple cider/wine recipe I have made tastes like hooch until the 6 month to 1 year mark. I am not much of a wine drinker though. This stuff tastes ready to drink after 2 weeks. Then again there is less alcohol in it which prolly has something to do with it.

I can't wait to tweak the next batch....orange zest, honey, maybe even cinnamon or some type of sugar to boost the ABV.

Oh lord :rockin:

I have made apfelwein with so many different yeasts, they are all good in a couple of months (2-3) except for montrachet. My LHBS won't sell montrachet with out a disclaimer, years are a necessity with that stuff.

I'm going to start my first batch of Graff tomorrow evening! I'm making a half batch using 8L of cider from a well-known local farm market. The cider measured 1.045 at 24*C and I haven't gotten around to correcting the SG for 60*F yet but I'll be sure to do that soon. I think the added pale malt extract will provide me with something stronger than a session cider! I used a few campden tablets to ready my cider for fermentation via Nottingham ale yeast.

I have made apfelwein with so many different yeasts, they are all good in a couple of months (2-3) except for montrachet. My LHBS won't sell montrachet with out a disclaimer, years are a necessity with that stuff.

Any chance of a quick summary for which ones turned out well?

Safale-05
Nottingham
Safale-04
Lavlin 1118
premiere cuvee
montrachet

This is how I would rank the yeasts I have used.

I made this two weeks ago but added 1/3 pound honey with a OG of 1.062. It will be 2 weeks today so I will start taking readings again and if its done fermenting I will keg on Sunday or Monday. I need this ready for my vacation on the 20th so I have plenty of time to keg, but would I get any benefit form letting it sit in primary any longer or should I just rack once fermenting is complete? Also I assume this one stays cloudy?

I made this two weeks ago but added 1/3 pound honey with a OG of 1.062. It will be 2 weeks today so I will start taking readings again and if its done fermenting I will keg on Sunday or Monday. I need this ready for my vacation on the 20th so I have plenty of time to keg, but would I get any benefit form letting it sit in primary any longer or should I just rack once fermenting is complete? Also I assume this one stays cloudy?

I always rack at 2 weeks. I think the flavor profile will mature and develop regardless of being in the carboy or in the keg, so it's up to you.

Yes, it stays cloudy. I'm sure it would clear if you gave it enough time, but it tastes so good shortly after fermentation. 2-3 weeks in the bottle, it's awesome. As for the kegging, I usually start drinking a glass a day right when it's carbonated (bout 3 days for me), but I start hitting it hard off the keg 1-2 weeks after kegging.

Racked this to keg last night and couldn’t resist pulling a few pints! Even uncarbed it was great. Good alcohol content low alcohol flavor tons of apple in the end. When I get back from vacation I will be doing another batch its that good. :mug:

Now I am going to have to bottle a few from the keg and hide them since I know this will all be gone in the first few days of the vacation!

Thanks Brandon!

just brewed a five gallon batch tonight. Hot damn this stuff smells good

I followed the recipe to the letter, I forget the name of the hops i used But

they were 4.2%AA I cant wait to taste this in a couple weeks Brandon

you are a brewing genius. I only hope you dont waste your powers on

something good for mankind. Save it all for brewing

just brewed a five gallon batch tonight. Hot damn this stuff smells good

I followed the recipe to the letter, I forget the name of the hops i used But

they were 4.2%AA I cant wait to taste this in a couple weeks Brandon

you are a brewing genius. I only hope you dont waste your powers on

something good for mankind. Save it all for brewing

Post back on the original recipe, GRAFF in the Cider recipes, when it's done and give your impressions of the drink and the taste profile. I appreciate the feedback.

I just did a batch of this last night too. I used 2lbs of Light extract instead of 1 light one amber though. My OG was 1.06 and tasted amazing. I used safale 05 for this batch. I can't wait to experiment with this recipe base.

Any idea the best way to add a spicy ginger taste to this?

I just did a batch of this last night too. I used 2lbs of Light extract instead of 1 light one amber though. My OG was 1.06 and tasted amazing. I used safale 05 for this batch. I can't wait to experiment with this recipe base.

Any idea the best way to add a spicy ginger taste to this?

not sure, maybe a belgian strain?

Making my first batch true to recipe. If it tastes as good as it smells, I can't wait to experiment with this. Swap out cranberry juice for 1 gallon apple. Add concentrate to make that h20 gallon equal to apple juice. Swap out cranberry mixes like black cherry or pomegranate. The spicy yeasts and hops. Mmmmm

Making my first batch true to recipe. If it tastes as good as it smells, I can't wait to experiment with this. Swap out cranberry juice for 1 gallon apple. Add concentrate to make that h20 gallon equal to apple juice. Swap out cranberry mixes like black cherry or pomegranate. The spicy yeasts and hops. Mmmmm

You will find subbing 1 gallon of another type of juice will kick up the tart level.

I subbed 1 gallon of blueberry for 1 gallon of apple and the tart is more prevalent. However, after a few weeks it seems to be aging out a bit.
I bet cranberry would be good though.

Im gonna give this a shot as soon as my carboy is empty. Im thinking I may do only 1 lb of DME and either keep the caramel malt the same or maybe bump it up to .75 lb because I'm cheap, and DME is expensive. Will a longer boil make it more bitter or vice versa?

I've also done this a little different a few weeks ago, ok well alot different. I had a gallon of apfelwein fermenting, but didnt add the corn sugar so its just juice and montrachet. After a couple days fermenting, I added 6 oz of light DME that was warmed in a little apple juice, just enough to dissolve the DME. So far so good. If it tastes this good with wine yeast, I can wait to try it with Nottingham!

Brandon: how do you think this will turn out with my aforementioned tweaks?

Eric

Whats the most DME that anyone has used in this?
I've brewed a batch with 2lbs and it was great.
I have one going now that has 6lbs DME and 2.5 gal apple juice.
The last hydro sample tasted great.

Im gonna give this a shot as soon as my carboy is empty. Im thinking I may do only 1 lb of DME and either keep the caramel malt the same or maybe bump it up to .75 lb because I'm cheap, and DME is expensive. Will a longer boil make it more bitter or vice versa?

I've also done this a little different a few weeks ago, ok well alot different. I had a gallon of apfelwein fermenting, but didnt add the corn sugar so its just juice and montrachet. After a couple days fermenting, I added 6 oz of light DME that was warmed in a little apple juice, just enough to dissolve the DME. So far so good. If it tastes this good with wine yeast, I can wait to try it with Nottingham!

Brandon: how do you think this will turn out with my aforementioned tweaks?

Eric

I can't see it tasting good for atleast nine months if you used montrachet.

Eric

Don't start tweaking anything until you have tried the base recipe. It is tried and true, variations are not. Once you brew the original you will KNOW what tweaks to make for your tastes instead of guessing.

Whats the most DME that anyone has used in this?
I've brewed a batch with 2lbs and it was great.
I have one going now that has 6lbs DME and 2.5 gal apple juice.
The last hydro sample tasted great.

wow, that's a lot of DME. looks like you've got an Imperial apple beer on your hands there.

Brandon: I've got 6 gallons of your graf recipe going right now, if the finished product is half as tasty as my hydro sample is, this is going to be some great stuff. I know you've done some tinkering to get to this recipe & I'm curious as to whether you've tried adding an oz or 2 of rye & if so, what were the results? Regards, GF.

Brandon: I've got 6 gallons of your graf recipe going right now, if the finished product is half as tasty as my hydro sample is, this is going to be some great stuff. I know you've done some tinkering to get to this recipe & I'm curious as to whether you've tried adding an oz or 2 of rye & if so, what were the results? Regards, GF.

Never added rye, not sure what it would do. Let me know how it turns out tho.

When the Graff is finished be sure to post a review in the recipes section. I am trying to start a revolution here. :mug:

Well it's definately not apfelwein. I prefer cider to apfelwein.

Here is the recipe. Use 4 gallons apple juice. I use fresh pressed.

.5 lbs crystal 60L and 1oz torrified wheat steeped for 30 minutes at 155 in .75 gallons of water. Sparge grain sack with .25 gallons of 170 water.

Add 1lb amber DME and 1lb Light DME and boil with a half oz of your favorite hops for 15-30 mins depending on how many IBUs you like.

Ferment at 64-68 degrees with safale-04, Nottingham, or safale-05.

This recipe can be found in the cider section. The name of the recipe is GRAFF.

Malted apfel cider... ~Mmmm~ crisp and juicy. I will have to take a bite out of this one for sure.

Hey Brandon,

My Graf went in the fermenter 6/12. It is in my cellar in a bin with water holding it around 62F. Tomorrow would be two weeks and bottle day according to the recipe, but the krausen is till there. I've got a 1+ inch of foam on top still. Does this need more time still you think?

TIA

Hey Brandon,

My Graf went in the fermenter 6/12. It is in my cellar in a bin with water holding it around 62F. Tomorrow would be two weeks and bottle day according to the recipe, but the krausen is till there. I've got a 1+ inch of foam on top still. Does this need more time still you think?

TIA

Mine has been at about 67F for about two weeks and seeing the same thing. Tons of krausen and very cloudy..

I'm thinkin just wait it out, time heals all...

definately wait for that krausen to die down a bit. I agree, time heals all.

Hydrometer should end up around 1.006

just let your hydrometer guide you.

Hi Brandon,
I am drinking a bottle of your Graff as I type this:cross:, good stuff dude. I followed your recipe exactly, using 1/2 oz Sterling 5.9AA and Nottingham yeast. Carbed for only two weeks and it's perfect. I have to wonder about adding a "spice tea" to this after primary fermentation is done. Cinnamon/cloves is something I may try next. Anyway, congrats on a winner!
Cheers,
Brian

I just kegged a batch I made without hops. I used the extract and grains though.

It is very sour and I am now experimenting with samples to see how backsweetening might help cut the malic acid twang.

Will the sourness mellow over time?

I pitched S-04 and fermented for 4 weeks at 65*. it tasted a little tart but still a hint of sweetness about two days before kegging...now...sour, not infected kind of sour, but acidic, pucker city.

I seem to have read in other cider threads that some people just taste their cider frequently during fermentation and kill the fermentation when it tastes good

anyone else experience this, have input/thoughts?

I just kegged a batch I made without hops. I used the extract and grains though.

It is very sour and I am now experimenting with samples to see how backsweetening might help cut the malic acid twang.

Will the sourness mellow over time?

I pitched S-04 and fermented for 4 weeks at 65*. it tasted a little tart but still a hint of sweetness about two days before kegging...now...sour, not infected kind of sour, but acidic, pucker city.

I seem to have read in other cider threads that some people just taste their cider frequently during fermentation and kill the fermentation when it tastes good

anyone else experience this, have input/thoughts?

What kind of juice did you use? This stuff is far from sour.

Nottingham will cut back the sour, I do know that from experimentation. Hops balance the sour and tart.

I'm not sure why yours is so sour tho, are you sure it isn't infected with acetobacter?

Hi Brandon,
I am drinking a bottle of your Graff as I type this:cross:, good stuff dude. I followed your recipe exactly, using 1/2 oz Sterling 5.9AA and Nottingham yeast. Carbed for only two weeks and it's perfect. I have to wonder about adding a "spice tea" to this after primary fermentation is done. Cinnamon/cloves is something I may try next. Anyway, congrats on a winner!
Cheers,
Brian

Glad you like it, let me know how the experiments pan out.

What kind of juice did you use? This stuff is far from sour.

Nottingham will cut back the sour, I do know that from experimentation. Hops balance the sour and tart.

I'm not sure why yours is so sour tho, are you sure it isn't infected with acetobacter?

I used cheap apple juice from the grocery store knowing full well that something better might make a better product, but that's all I could get a hold of.

In terms of the hops, I will probably try that at some point, but honestly it doesn't make any sense to me that something bitter balances something sour. That is like saying that the glaze on the doughnut balances the sweetness of the jelly inside it.

It might be infected, but it doesn't taste like a$$, or vinegar, just sour, like apple-ish lemonade. I mixed a teaspoon of juice concentrate with a sample glass, and that really made a difference in terms of cutting the punch of the sour, so I may just sweeten the whole keg that way.

I was planning on throwing another batch together this week anyway, so I will see how the next one compares

Okay, this really has me hooked. I came over to HBT thinking the first thing I would make would be a nice, low ABV brown ale or maybe a go at an IPA for the coming heat of July and August. Then I see this thread and I have the biggest urge to make Graff! The fact there is a major cider mill less than fifty miles from home makes it even more intriguing. Way to go Brandon. This one sounds like a keeper.

Phog

I used cheap apple juice from the grocery store knowing full well that something better might make a better product, but that's all I could get a hold of.

In terms of the hops, I will probably try that at some point, but honestly it doesn't make any sense to me that something bitter balances something sour. That is like saying that the glaze on the doughnut balances the sweetness of the jelly inside it.

It might be infected, but it doesn't taste like a$$, or vinegar, just sour, like apple-ish lemonade. I mixed a teaspoon of juice concentrate with a sample glass, and that really made a difference in terms of cutting the punch of the sour, so I may just sweeten the whole keg that way.

I was planning on throwing another batch together this week anyway, so I will see how the next one compares

hops aren't bitter when you use a low AA and boil them for 15-30 mins, they are aromatic. maybe your juice is the issue.

Okay, this really has me hooked. I came over to HBT thinking the first thing I would make would be a nice, low ABV brown ale or maybe a go at an IPA for the coming heat of July and August. Then I see this thread and I have the biggest urge to make Graff! The fact there is a major cider mill less than fifty miles from home makes it even more intriguing. Way to go Brandon. This one sounds like a keeper.

Phog

Just make sure you use good juice and I reccomend following the recipe exactly for the first time. I like notty the best for yeast.

Back