Best Chicken Wings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

headbanger

Reaction score
Chicken Wing Dry Rub: Makes about 3/4 cups

2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons Sugar In the Raw
2 tablespoons granulated garlic
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons paprika
2 teaspoons good quality chili powder
2 teaspoons black pepper finely ground
1 teaspoon lemon pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

With a sharp knife, cut the tips off the chicken wings and save them for stock. Slash the inside of the wing joint to help them cook more evenly, but don’t cut them all the way through. Sprinkle liberally with the Chicken Wing Dry Rub then let rest for 20 minutes up to four hours.

Prepare the grill to cook at 375 indirect. Grill the wings for about 45 minutes, do not turn.

If you're using a regular grill over direct heat, I'd say 20-30 minutes flipping at regular intervals until they're nice and crispy would do the trick, just be careful not to burn the rub.

This rub makes the wings very dark, almost black, but the flavor is incredible. I use a tube smoker when cooking these also, love to get as much smoke on them as possible. I also overcook them slightly which gives fall off the bone tenderness and ultra-crispy skin, I usually don't pull them until they're right around 200 internal.

photo1_zps3c4ff10a.jpg

photo2_zpse4a98213.jpg

photo4_zpsb637bedb.jpg

photo5_zps478a40cf.jpg

I can't wait to get home and make some APL wings! They take some time but its worth it! Your recipe sounds like one to try as well!

Upstate NY has the best wings, especially Duffs in Buffalo.

I thought Anchor Bar wings were okay.

These sure do sound good. I think I might be the only man in history who loves the wing tips though. Crispy fatty skin goodness.

I LOVE hot wings. Period.

That being said, I've totally bastardized the hot wings thing. So, with apologies in advance... I use chicken thighs instead of wings. Yes, by doing so, I'm sure I've offended every hot wing aficionado on HBT; perhaps on Earth. I wish my Costco sold fresh wings; but, alas, they do not. Yet.

Moreover, I use Alton Brown's method of cooking wings. This process includes steaming the, um, er... "wings" for 10-15 minutes, letting them rest, and, finally, baking them at something like 400* for 20 minutes per side. I start with the skin side down. While resting, I will marinate them in Frank's.

Once cooked, I add as much garlic butter as my heart will tolerate to a stainless steel bowl and toss in the cooked thighs. Once coated, I add as much Frank's as the GF will tolerate. Then I'll add a little more. Then, when she's not looking, I'll add a few dashes of Tobasco. Finally, I'll add just a bit of Yoshida's sauce for a little sweetness.

Yum.

I LOVE hot wings. Period.

That being said, I've totally bastardized the hot wings thing. So, with apologies in advance... I use chicken thighs instead of wings. Yes, by doing so, I'm sure I've offended every hot wing aficionado on HBT; perhaps on Earth. I wish my Costco sold fresh wings; but, alas, they do not. Yet.

Moreover, I use Alton Brown's method of cooking wings. This process includes steaming the, um, er... "wings" for 10-15 minutes, letting them rest, and, finally, baking them at something like 400* for 20 minutes per side. I start with the skin side down. While resting, I will marinate them in Frank's.

Once cooked, I add as much garlic butter as my heart will tolerate to a stainless steel bowl and toss in the cooked thighs. Once coated, I add as much Frank's as the GF will tolerate. Then I'll add a little more. Then, when she's not looking, I'll add a few dashes of Tobasco. Finally, I'll add just a bit of Yoshida's sauce for a little sweetness.

Yum.

No worries here! It aint "wings" anymore but who cares.

I would go with legs if I was you. A good spicy leg to chew on is fantastic.....although now that you have ventured a bit, venture a little farther......a good dry rubbed thigh, something like what HB did, is a thing of beauty.

Just had a mild epihpany......corn starch. Ugly on fried food UNLESS you cover it in sauce....

I will be dredging my next batch of "wings" in corn starch.

a touch of corn starch on the outside of a steak makes for damn fine grilled meat.

:eek:

I am thinking corn starch might need it's own thread.

I was shocked recently at how some buffalo chicken strips (from a local bar with AWESOME food) kept their crunch. Had to be corn starch.

I make bang bang shrimp (or whatever) and the little shrimps are fried in just corn starch. They look awful. The stuff doesn't brown. They look all white and wierd until you toss them in the fishy, spicy mayo. Then...MAGIC!

Apparently modern versions of the kama sutra suggest massages with corn starch. Now that you have that picture in your head I'll return to the point at hand.

I have heard of rubbing a thick slurry of corn starch into poultry before sauteeing or deep frying in Vietnamese cooking...

Apparently modern versions of the kama sutra suggest massages with corn starch. Now that you have that picture in your head I'll return to the point at hand.

I have heard of rubbing a thick slurry of corn starch into poultry before sauteeing or deep frying in Vietnamese cooking...

Now that you mention it.....

The Irish Rover a Fantastic REAL Irish place.....(I qualify "REAL" because these pseudo-irish ****** places seem to have popped up everywhere) has cheese and chive fritters that are made with some sort of corn starch slurry.

They are SHARP and Oh so crispy deep fried cheesy goodness (like our love child ;))

Sounds awesome! I usually do sauce marinades or homemade buffalo sauce for my wings.

I'd up the Cayenne Pepper to 1 Tablespoon though!

My ghosts and habs are flowering.:mug:

Cayenne has good flavor, but jalapeno wins it by a mile as far as flavor.

My ripe red jalapeno powder is worth it's weight in gold.

Now that you mention it.....

The Irish Rover a Fantastic REAL Irish place.....(I qualify "REAL" because these pseudo-irish ****** places seem to have popped up everywhere) has cheese and chive fritters that are made with some sort of corn starch slurry.

They are SHARP and Oh so crispy deep fried cheesy goodness (like our love child ;))

And the scotch eggs!!! :ban:

My ghosts and habs are flowering.:mug:

Cayenne has good flavor, but jalapeno wins it by a mile as far as flavor.

My ripe red jalapeno powder is worth it's weight in gold.

So I take it you actually dry and grind your own peppers into powder? do you roast them first? Curious as I have about 5 Hab plants, 3 Scotch and 8 Cayenne. Last year I had more peppers than I knew what to do with but powdering them sounds like an awesome idea for use all year! :tank:

So I take it you actually dry and grind your own peppers into powder? do you roast them first? Curious as I have about 5 Hab plants, 3 Scotch and 8 Cayenne. Last year I had more peppers than I knew what to do with but powdering them sounds like an awesome idea for use all year! :tank:

I typically smoke some habs (orange do best, but any are fine) but jalapenos get dried and powdered.

there is NOTHING like fresh. (I like cayenne, but I replace cayenne in any recipe with jalapeno powder)

Fresh homegrown jalapeno or cayenne powder will beat storebought any day!

(So we don't go completely OT;))

Homegrown pepper powder in wing sauce is a great way to vary the heat.

In ANY recipe, use homegrown powder.

I have done side by side and gotten raving compliments on the ribs made with homegrown pepper powder.

Beware! The smell of dehydrating super hots is PUNGENT!

Without a smoker, how have you folks been drying your peppers (ie, can I do it in my ny apartment)?

A food dehydrator is the way to go in an apartment.

I have a Nesco, awesome for making jerky, dried herbs and this year...peppers! :rockin:
51vQRyOXcQL._SY300_.jpg

I'm originally from upstate NY. Yes, they really do have the best wings. Duff's wings are excellent, Anchor Bar wings are good, but the bar-none best wings in WNY are served at the Bar-Bill in East Aurora. If you haven't tried them from there, you're missing out.

ALL Buffalo-style chicken wings are deep fried, never cooked any other way. If you're cooking wings on the grill or in the oven, you may be making chicken wings, but they aren't Buffalo wings. I'm not saying they're not good or "less than" Buffalo wings in any way - just that they're not to style. It would be like adding roasted barley to a pilsner recipe and wondering why you didn't place in a homebrew competition.

I've actually found one place where I live now that makes excellent wings. They're as good as what you get in Buffalo, and that's no small feat. I spent years eating crappy chicken wings in California.

I also make them at home and use Frank's red hot as a base for the sauce. I add a bunch of spices and misc. ingredients to make it unique. I bought a deep fryer and wouldn't cook wings any other way. Getting good sized chicken wings can be a challenge, too. Some wings are just not very big and they end up being too much sauce and not enough meat.

ALL Buffalo-style chicken wings are deep fried, never cooked any other way. If you're cooking wings on the grill or in the oven, you may be making chicken wings, but they aren't Buffalo wings.

big-lebowski1.jpg

Yeah, well that's just your opinion man. ;)

Back