Best buy dates - glucoamylase

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joewalla88

Reaction score
Just wondering. I have a little bottle of glucoamylase that I bought quite a while ago for making some brut IPAs. It has a best buy date of 2019. Would this be a legit best buy date? Do you think it'll still work or should I just toss it?

So I don't know that any of these sites can be fully trusted but given they all seem to agree that "properly stored in a cool, dry place in a sealed container" it will be usefully viable for a year, that's what I'd do and go with :)

http://www.biovet.com/pdfs/Glucoamylase.pdf
SHELF LIFE To maintain optimum enzyme activity, this product should be stored in a cool, dry place in a tightly sealed container. When properly stored, this product can be expected to lose less than 10% of its activity in twelve months for powdered form and six months for liquid preparation.

https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/docs/products/tds/TDS_ABV_ENZYMES_GLUCOAMYLASE-400_ENG_DIGITAL.pdf
Glucoamylase 400 is stable for 6 months when the storage temperature does not exceed 20C. If stored at 5C the product will maintain the declared activity for 12 months.

https://www.infobloom.com/what-is-glucoamylase.htm
Cheers!

Okay, next question. Since this may be too old and not 100% "viable?" AM I risking anything dumping it in my beer?

Well...I've only used glucoamylase once so far - an attempt at an uber dry quasi neipa that I have not yet tapped (should happen in a week or so) - so I'm no authority on such matters for certain. But unless one's recipe literally depends on the performance of the added enzyme, I don't see any risk at all.

Eg: if your intent is to brew a beer that finishes at say 1.005 but the gluco is weak for whatever reason and it finishes at 1.010, if that's a buzzkill, use fresh enzyme :) Otoh, in my case, I was/am willing to end up with the classic middling teens FG if the enzyme doesn't do much.

Cheers!

Would I be risking infection you think? Like, would weird bugs maybe have worked their way into the little bottle?

uurp! :eek:
But...nah - I can't imagine glucoamylase enzyme is an attractive target for "bugs". And my guess is it gets oxidized over time and just "expires".
Keep the bottle tight and you should be fine...

Cheers!

is this liquid or dry? if liquid the enzyme, protein, would be mobile. if dry i'd imagine it would last for decades....i have a bag of alpha amylase, that i've had since like 2008, still works....

If it loses 10% in 12 months, just add a bit more. I think you will be fine.

Side note - The US military did a study on medicines to find actual shelf life, not the attorney required quick shelf life of medicinal products. Companies want to get out of liability quickly. Most medicines were fine after 40 years, maybe 10% reduction of many types. Most chemical compounds were more stable than you’d think with proper storage. Really interesting.....

The glucoamylase is still new addition for me. How is everyone adding the enzyme, during mash in, during yeast pitching, or something else.

Please let me know what you think of this mash schedule for a low carbohydrate NEIPA. In order to optimize the glucoamylase temperature performance at ~130F but yet have the grist completely gelatinized which occurs between 140F to 149F and of course produce the most fermentable wort in the whole process, I plan the following. Mash the beta-amylase at 145F for 60 minutes, temperature infuse to 158F for 40 minutes for the alpha-amylase, and then cool to 130F (my CFC is always inline, easier operation) and add the glucoamylase for 60 minutes before pumping the wort to the boil kettle. pH at a low mash value of ~5.2.

How is everyone adding the enzyme, during mash in, during yeast pitching, or something else.

i pitch it in the fermentor with the yeast. i tried it once in the mash, don't remember what temp, but it didn't work for me.

if you have luck at 130f, let me know. :mug:

i pitch it in the fermentor with the yeast. i tried it once in the mash, don't remember what temp, but it didn't work for me.

if you have luck at 130f, let me know. :mug:
I was under the impression that the liquid version was supposed to gonin the fermenter, and that the powder form worked a little different. Is that right? I've always added the liquid to the fermenter and it's worked fine.

I was under the impression that the liquid version was supposed to gonin the fermenter, and that the powder form worked a little different. Is that right? I've always added the liquid to the fermenter and it's worked fine.

I dissolved the powder in water and added it to a beer that stopped way too sweet. Worked great.

this is what i use. and the directions say to add to the fermentor.

https://brewhaus.com/gluco-amylase-enzyme-amyloglucosidase-1lb/
(or looking at it. room temp anyway. but it would need alpha to break the starch to smaller chunks before it can turn them into chips for the yeast)

Well, it must have had some life left. My beer went from 1.060-1.062ish down to .996. It was 7lbs pils and 4 lbs rice. Used the Gulo yeast, and dried this thing out. Thinking of calling it the Hulkster. A strong brut blonde?

I'm finished, done, over with the lite beer phase of my brewing! The first lite beer used ~5 grams of glucoamylase in the mash and used lower than normal grist levels for my standard NEIPA. It came in at 1.008 gravity and was just drinkable. The next two I got aggressive using a lot more glucoamylase and letting the mash rest at 130 F hours at a time. Both aggressive beers were dumped! Yuck. Crazy thinking I could make something as good as Dogfish Head's Slightly Mighty.

I attempted making a lite beer for dietary reasons, I live in ketosis. I don't worry about calories, but do severely restrict my carbohydrate intake. Alcohol has 7 calories per gram whereas carbohydrates have only 4 calories per gram, but the important factor here is that alcohol, unlike carbohydrates, does not produce an insulin response. Don't know what I'm talking about? Check out "Low Carb Down Under" on YouTube. This could be the most important information you've ever heard.

I'm brewing #100 Tuesday and I want my normal delicious 6+% alcohol, 20 grams carbohydrates and 200 calories per 12 oz glass of beer.

Last edited:
Im using Ultraferm W4100 for the purpose of making low carb beers, much like @BarryBrews. I’m still using the same liter from a year ago. Stored at 40F in a mini fridge. I’ve had eight consecutive runs using it in just the mash, at 147F where the final gravity is less than 1.000. This is with S-05, Nottingham, Kveik Voss, London, and Windsor. This usually yields a beer with 5 to 8g carbs per 12pz.

Back