Best bru n water profile for brown porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makisupapolice14

Reaction score
I'm brewing a 5.5 gallon chocolate vanilla coconut brown porter using ro water. Srm is predicted at 24. Which bru n water profile would work best for this style? Brown balanced? Brown dry? Brown full?

Should I go with one of the black profiles instead (srm lower than listed for those).

Thanks!

Since the roast grains in porter might already be drying enough, I would shy away from having too much sulfate. The black profiles do have reduced sulfate for that reason. The black balanced or full profiles could work well.

Thanks martin,

Given this malt bill for a brown porter (which seems to be low in roast grains),
Would you still go the black vs brown profile route?

5.5 lb marris otter
2 lb Munich 10L
1 lb flaked oats
1 lb Crystal 120L
0.5 lb chocolate malt 350L

Also room temp mash ph 5.4-5.5 adequate for this style?
Thanks again for the help and great program!

You are right. That recipe isn't overly roasty. I'm betting you could use a brown profile.

I’m actually brewing the same recipe from the Zymurgy magazine a couple months ago. Brun water has my mash ph estimated to be at 5.05 without any salt additions. Is there something I should be doing to try and raise the ph a bit? Can I add all my water additions to the sparge water? It isn’t much using a brown balanced profile.

I’m actually brewing the same recipe from the Zymurgy magazine a couple months ago. Brun water has my mash ph estimated to be at 5.05 without any salt additions. Is there something I should be doing to try and raise the ph a bit? Can I add all my water additions to the sparge water? It isn’t much using a brown balanced profile.

Given that estimate, it appears that your starting water has little or no alkalinity. You'll need to add alkalinity to the mashing water to keep the pH from falling too far with that somewhat dark grist.

While there are things that you can do to make your mashing pH closer to ideal, you can't avoid the excessive pH drop in the kettle later in the process. Its best to target pH that is closer to correct throughout your process.

Given that estimate, it appears that your starting water has little or no alkalinity. You'll need to add alkalinity to the mashing water to keep the pH from falling too far with that somewhat dark grist.

While there are things that you can do to make your mashing pH closer to ideal, you can't avoid the excessive pH drop in the kettle later in the process. Its best to target pH that is closer to correct throughout your process.

I hadn't thought about this before but after reading some more in the Bru'n water instructions, I can play with the water to grist ratio. I've been brewing using a 1.3 to 1 ratio. If I up that a bit using 5 gallons for the mash rather than 4, the mash ph will move more into an ideal range. Would that be a better approach than adding something else to increase the pH?

Also, could I then add the little bit of Calcium Chloride and Gypsum to the sparge water to adjust the ending water profile of the beer?

Thanks for all the help!

Back