Best Books?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendelgee2

Reaction score
Hey folks,
I'm making the jump from brewing to cheesemaking.
I'm looking for the equivalent book to Palmer's How to Brew, meaning a book that doesn't just tell you WHAT to do, but WHY you're doing it.

I've got Tim Smith's "Making Artisanal Cheese" and frankly I was hugely disappointed.

So, what book should be next on my list?

Thanks! :mug:

Have you thought about contacting any ag schools around you with a creamery or dairy science department? They might be able to recommend some good books and you might even be able to find some cheap used textbooks. Of course, the information probably won't be broken down into layman's terms as effortlessly as Palmer doesd it. Just a thought...

I have two books and they are both very good. I like to have both as I can confirm details from book to book. I have RickI Carrol Home Cheese Making and Debra Amrein-Boyles 200 easy homemade cheese recipes. The book by Boyles is a little more thorough and has a lot more recipes. The book by Carroll is simpler and has recipes mostly at the 2 gallon size which is good for home scale. The Boyles book seems to vary the recipe size depending on tradition which I like better personally.

Tom

Ditto -those are the only 2 books i use-I haen't had a failed batch yet! i am going to order Steve the Cheesemkers books though-that guy is great-customer service wise and pricewise-cause i can never have enough books~~~~~~~
mnblonde

Back