Best books for improving your brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steampunk

Reaction score
Outside of the "how to brew" books. What books would you recommend as must reads to improve ones beer?

Brewing Classic Styles has been great for me in learning how to put together a recipe for various styles in a "hands-on" way. A lot will recommend Designing Great Beers but I've found it to be rather dry and I don't refer to it very much. I have learned some stuff from it though. The forums here are, of course, great and I go back to Palmer's How To Brew time and time again. The thing that has really helped me lately is buying Beersmith 2. I'm still figuring it out but since I got it, every batch has hit the numbers perfectly. And now that I said that, I'm sure the batch I'm brewing today will be way off, haha.

I loved the book "Brewing better beer" by Gordon Strong. It has really helped me up my quality. Beer Smith is an amazing tool that I have has great luck with, not to mention the forums here and the help and advice from my local brewers and home brew shops.

I loved the book "Brewing better beer" by Gordon Strong. It has really helped me up my quality. Beer Smith is an amazing tool that I have has great luck with, not to mention the forums here and the help and advice from my local brewers and home brew shops.

+1 on Strong's book. Also like Designing Great Beers, Yeast, and the beer styes series (Bock by Richmann, etc).

Some of the most-cited literature is now a bit out of date.

Really the right books for you depend on where you are wrt brewing knowledge.

Radical Brewing
Designing Great Beers
Yeast
For the Love of Hops

Theres more but these are the most referenced books I own in no particular order (although DGB is getting ragged)

After I was broken in, meaning I read Palmer's How to Brew in the online version (then bought the book) I have found nothing more valuable in my brewing than what I've learned on HBT.

If I was going to go somewhere from here, it would probably be Ray Daniels. But I'm not there yet.

Because I love Belgian styles Brew Like a Monk and Farmhouse Ales are tremendous resources. The essay on the Dupont yeast strain alone was worth the price of admission! Yeast was also a very informative book. I really wish Ray would update Designing Great Beers with more recent data as I think the world of homebrewing has advanced a great deal since he wrote it. I'm just starting to work through Brewing Classic Styles but it is an awesome recipe reference. I subscribe to the "know the rules so you know how to break them" philosophy!

My quick reference book is Brewmaster's Bible. Great charts and tables.

Radical Brewing I occasionally go to for ingredient or ingredient combo ideas.

I recently picked up Brew Like A Pro because it has some DIY equipment build instructions.

Back