Best book for beginner cider maker?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMcPherson

Reaction score
I'm sure that this question gets asked a lot but I don't see a search option.
I guess that I need to be a payed member first?

What are the beginner books for cider making that breaks down the very basics of this?

Real Cidermaking (on a small scale) by Michael Pooley & John Lomax. ISBN 1-85486-195-6.
Or for the science, Craft Cidermaking by Andrew Lea. ISBN 978-1-90487-1989.

I am also very new at cider making, and I bought the book " the new cider makers handbook" by claude jolicoeur. It actually seems like a really good book, it definitely isn't just for beginners it has room for you to grow. with information that is way over my head at the moment but I could see in the future being something I would like to do more research into...

My wife and I are still getting up the learning curve, but we've found The New Cider Maker's Handbook by Claude Jolicoeur extremely thorough and helpful. It takes you step by step through your first batch in the part 1, then goes through the different components of cider in great detail in later parts: choosing apples, extracting the juice, understanding the sugars and acids in must, and exploring fermentation in some detail. Some sections are overkill, at least for where I am now, but I like having all the info right there. It's on the more expensive end for books (just over $30 on Amazon) but I'm very grateful I picked it up.

I am also very new at cider making, and I bought the book " the new cider makers handbook" by claude jolicoeur. It actually seems like a really good book, it definitely isn't just for beginners it has room for you to grow. with information that is way over my head at the moment but I could see in the future being something I would like to do more research into...

You beat me to the punch, and I didn't see your post before I posted. I completely agree

I agree with the above posters as well, I suggest your local public library as another source of reading material. I have read every cider and beer making book my local library has. :)

Or you can use Google to search this site which is what I usually do. Something like this works: "cider making" site: homebrewtalk.com

I don't have any books on cider and find that you don't need a book to make really good cider. For questions you can always post here as you've done and folks are eager to let you know what's worked for them.

I agree with you Roadie and 60acresbrewwclub but there is just something about falling asleep in bed while reading a good book about an interesting subject.

Back