Best Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Best-Bitter~~element61.jpg

Enjoying our Best Bitter - I really like this beer. Its got prominent malt, a sturdy hop bitterness, very drinkable at 4.4% abv. Best Bitter is an English style that falls somewhere between Ordinary Bitter and Extra Special Bitter. More info at http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/Best-Bitter.html

Original Gravity: 1.042
Final Gravity: 1.008
Alcohol by Vol: 4.4 %
Bitterness: 32.5 IBUs
Calories: 137.2 kcal/12oz
Color: 9.0 SRM
Mashed at 152F, Single Infusion, Batch Sparge

6 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt
2 lbs Munich Malt - 10L
8.0 oz Crystal Malt - 20L
8.0 oz Crystal Malt - 60L
4.0 oz Spec.Roast (50 SRM)
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.00 %] - First Wort 60 min
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.00 %] - Boil 20 min
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.00 %] - Boil 10 min
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.00 %] - Boil 1 min
Irish Moss
British Ale Yeast (White Labs WLP005)

Now I want to brew some Best Bitter! The pipe-line is a bit full right now, so maybe later in the winter to keep something lighter and hoppy around to change pace from Old Ale, Stout, Dubbel, and other winter favorites.

Going to brew this again, but I'm out of EKGs, but have two other English varieties - Challenger and Fuggles. So, keeping the same grain bill, the new hop bill will be:

1 oz Challenger (6.9% aa) First Wort Hop 60 mins
0.5 oz Fuggles (4.5% aa) 20 mins
0.5 oz Fuggles 10 mins
1 oz Challenger 1 mins

It works out to the same 32 IBUs as the recipe above.

Going to brew this again, but I'm out of EKGs, but have two other English varieties - Challenger and Fuggles. So, keeping the same grain bill, the new hop bill will be:

1 oz Challenger (6.9% aa) First Wort Hop 60 mins
0.5 oz Fuggles (4.5% aa) 20 mins
0.5 oz Fuggles 10 mins
1 oz Challenger 1 mins

It works out to the same 32 IBUs as the recipe above.

Let us know how you like that compared to the EKG version. I like EKG, and I love willamette but I'm just not that crazy about fuggles so I'd be very interested in hearing your report on how it turns out!

Let us know how you like that compared to the EKG version. I like EKG, and I love willamette but I'm just not that crazy about fuggles so I'd be very interested in hearing your report on how it turns out!

I like Challenger but have only used Fuggles in stouts, I think. I might switch out the order of the final two additions - Challenger at 10 and Fuggles at 1. So many choices.

Back