Best Bitter critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpeterseufl

Reaction score
I'm trying to use what I have on hand to make a decent best bitter. I want a good beer, but I'm not overly concerned about keeping true to style. I want to save my fuggles or EKG for flavor/aroma, so I'm bittering with Magnum. I don't have Marris Otter, so I'm hoping Munich and Vienna will at least give a little more character than 2-row. Thoughts?

3 gallons
OG: 1.039
FG: 1.010
IBU: 33
SRM: 8
Brewhouse efficiency: 80%
S-04 yeast

3# American two-row
.25# Vienna
.25# Munich
.25# Crystal 40L
.25# Crystal 60L

.3oz Magnum 60 min.
.3oz Fuggles 15 min.
.3 oz Fuggles 5 min.
.4 Fuggles DH

The Vienna & Munich might work in this application. I haven't tried them for this kind of flavor match, but it might get you what you want. I'd probably lean more towards a small amount of amber malt instead, if that's an option for you, only because I know that's going to get you fairly close. Everything else looks like it will make for a good beer. A well brewed bitter is really one of those few beers that's equally wonderful the whole year 'round. I hope it turns out well.

If you care about head retention at all, a 1/4lb of wheat (malt or torrefied) will help a bit on small beers like this. Then again, if you're carbing to 1-1.5 volumes, it might be a moot point anyway.

I might try toasting some. Would that help simulate MO? I toasted some for a 60-minute IPA clone. That should be ready for sampling about the time I'm ready to brew. If it ends up tasty, maybe I'll try it again. Thanks for the comments.

Back