Best beginner book

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howhownow

Reaction score
I have been brewing beer for years, and for Christmas this year I bought my mother a nice NB 1 gal wine making starter kit, along with a boxed chardonnay kit. It seems like she enjoyed the process (it was funny seeing her majorly fret over things like a few degrees off in fermentation temp, and an extra day or two longer in secondary than directions) and would like to make more. She even expressed interest in making larger volume batches since we polished off one of her 4 bottles the 1 gal kit produced that night.
I have a lot a brewing knowledge, and that was enough to help her with gravity readings, sanitation, transferring, etc. I would like to get her a good book or two on basic winemaking to explain the 'why' behind the steps she is doing, help her understand how she can refine her process, and serve as a reference for when I'm not here to help her (though she got a lot of help from youtube videos).
Is there a wine version of 'The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" or "How to Brew"? Mother's Day is coming up, and it seems like a good opportunity.

While not a book, check to see if Atlantic Brew Supply is hosting a wine making course any time soon.
They have done it in the past and they may be doing it again.

They do have a "Joy of home Wine making" book. Not nearly as good as the brewing one, but informitive.
Most wine and brew supply places have books on wine making. Even Amazon does. I have only read a few, but all had good and not so good advise. I guess it is take your pick!
The best wine making info I ever read was on eckrouse.com web site. (Hopefully I spelled it right!) they have free info on their web site. With cheet sheets in the center of their paper cataloge as well. They also have wine making books for sale.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Just point her to this and the other web site. Much better advice and you can ask specific questions. Can't do that to a book.

P.S. Get her a 6 gallon kit for Mothers Day...she'll love it! Same amount of work but 6 times the reward.

Haha just what Ma needs... 6 gallons of wine hanging around!

Thanks for the advise, everyone.

Latest posts

Back