Best Beer Spots in the South Bay Area???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgough

Reaction score
I'm in San Jose, Cupertino actually, and was wondering what the best spots for beer are on this side of the bay. I know about Tidehouse and Rock Bottom, is there anything else?

Firestone Walker is down that way, not in San Jose, more of an out of town expedition.

Gordon Biersch :(

If you have wheels, the Bistro in Hayward
Hop Rhizome Festival is Saturday, April 11, 2009 - we will have several varietals of Hops for purchase and a plethora of Hopilicious beers on tap for your enjoyment alongside great live music and BBQ

For being in California, San Jose has slim pickins to choose from. You could try the following places. The drive is not to far.

1. Faultline Restaurant and Brewery
1235 Oakmead Parkway
Sunnyvale, CA 94086

2. Firehouse Grill and Brewery
111 S. Murphy Ave.
Sunnyvale, CA 94086

I haven't been out since kids:D

In the old days from what I remember in and around the area:

Faultline
Firehouse
Gordon Biersch (German lagers only - not really my thing, but the garlic fries are awesome)
Tide House
Rock Bottom
BJ's

The only beer that sticks out in my mind other than Gorson is a banana beer at Faultline. Don't do that to yourself:eek:

San Jose is a black hole for beer relative to the rest of the Bay Area, especially north.

Thanks for your responses guys. One of the ones we looked at, I think it was Firehouse, wasnt open on weekends. I'd already been to tidehouse and rock bottom. So, we just hung out and drank commercial brews all day. Could have been worse. Again, thanks for all the replies.

:mug:

I haven't been out since kids:D

In the old days from what I remember in and around the area:

Faultline
Firehouse
Gordon Biersch (German lagers only - not really my thing, but the garlic fries are awesome)
Tide House
Rock Bottom
BJ's

The only beer that sticks out in my mind other than Gorson is a banana beer at Faultline. Don't do that to yourself:eek:

San Jose is a black hole for beer relative to the rest of the Bay Area, especially north.

That seems like a pretty comprehensive list, haha.

Faultline is pretty good. I've only been there a few times and I do remember a tasty Dunkelweizen. I know Gordon Biersch gets a bad rap, but I'm a big fan of a couple of their beers, specifically their Marzen and wheat beers. Tied House is pretty good. BJ's is OK. Firehouse is OK.

But that's for beer. I wouldn't go to any of these for great food (except BJ's), especially Gordon Biersch. In general I've come to believe that breweries can make good beer but not good food, but maybe I have been living here too long. At least the ones listed tend to cater to a more expensive sophisticated menu, but in reality that just means they want to charge a lot for average to below average tasting food.

Back