Best Beer in a can? (Raceday)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThebrewdawG

Reaction score
I know, Iknow!
Since I started brewing and enjoying all the craft beers I've been drinking (for the bottles) I hate to take bud light to the race! any sugestions.
AMS 3/9/08. Is Kasey Cane old enough to drive the bud car?:D

My fave canned beer is Caldera IPA but you won't find it in Atlanta. :(
caldera_ipa_can.jpg

Looks like you can get Oskar Blues in your area. Good stuff! :mug:

ThebrewdawG said:
I know, Iknow!
Since I started brewing and enjoying all the craft beers I've been drinking (for the bottles) I hate to take bud light to the race! any sugestions.
AMS 3/9/08. Is Kasey Cane old enough to drive the bud car?:D

I took Sleeman's Cream Ale to both of the Races last year, It is great beer to drink when the temp is 95 and the sun feels like it is duct taped to your back. You should look around and try to find it.

I like a belgian white in the summer heat, and luckily wittekerke is readily available in cans.

wittekerke.jpg

You can usually find Dale's Pale Ale in and around ATL; its a pretty fair brew! :mug:

40news5c.jpg

Neal

IMHO, any of the Oskar Blues prodcuts. They are hands down the BEST beer you will ever pour out of a can.
Dale' Pale ale
Old Chub:rockin:
Gordon
Ten Fidy:rockin:

RichBrewer said:
I have been dead set against beer in a can for many years...

Same here. I think in my case it was 1 part prejudice (BMC was the only canned stuff I was aware of in years past, aside from other cheap swill) and 1 part experience with older cans of soda where they'd eventually take on a metallic taste. Improvements in the process have made for some pretty good beer in cans.

Actually the Bitburger was the first canned beer I think I've had in over a decade, and I have actually bought a case since first introduced to it. Here it is $24 a case for the 0.5 liter cans while the case of 12 oz bottles is $26.

Cans are nice too in that as we all know it can't get skunked in the can, and will chill more rapidly when put to ice if you need to cool it a little on a hot summer's day at the race :D

olllllo said:
Love the Oskar Blues stuff...
also...

21St Amendment
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/735/20781

8187.jpg

21st606.jpg

I have never seen anything good here in cans in the distributors other than the Bitburger (which is fair). I am kind of surprised (although I suppose I shouldn't be?) to see things like IPA in a can :D

Distributors and Suppliers can be odd sometimes. A co-worker and I had asked a rep from a local distro which is the master for Spaten products if they could get their Pils. They went to the regional meeting with them and Spaten will not supply the Pils to the North East. I have no idea why, I imagine it is because of the market analysis but I am not sure the reason.

zoebisch01 said:
I have never seen anything good here in cans in the distributors other than the Bitburger (which is fair). I am kind of surprised (although I suppose I shouldn't be?) to see things like IPA in a can :D

Distributors and Suppliers can be odd sometimes. A co-worker and I had asked a rep from a local distro which is the master for Spaten products if they could get their Pils. They went to the regional meeting with them and Spaten will not supply the Pils to the North East. I have no idea why, I imagine it is because of the market analysis but I am not sure the reason.

You should check and see if you can find some Sly Fox. They do their pale ale and pils in cans. Apparently it was a six pack of the canned pils that won at the GABF too.

I'm gonna try to score some dales, thanks for all the help! No one wants to comment on Kasey? I thought alot of brewers would be race fans! Oh well ! look for me on tv, I'll be the one in the Dale shirt drinking the Dale's ale ! :ban:

Greggy said:
Kai said:
Surly Furious
Beat me to it! Bender is available as well.

Greg
Bender would probably be better at a race. The 100 IBU's in Furious can be a bit much for a casual session.

I always feel like I'm the first kid on the block with Surly beer - I only know them already because my Mom's in MN. I don't think they distribute much beyond there yet.

RICLARK said:
I took Sleeman's Cream Ale to both of the Races last year, It is great beer to drink when the temp is 95 and the sun feels like it is duct taped to your back. You should look around and try to find it.
i' ll be on the inside of turn four for june race!

Kai said:
Bender would probably be better at a race. The 100 IBU's in Furious can be a bit much for a casual session.

I always feel like I'm the first kid on the block with Surly beer - I only know them already because my Mom's in MN. I don't think they distribute much beyond there yet.

I haven't tried the Bender... but the Furious is just amazing. It's definitely the best beer I've ever had from a can, although Oskar Blues is up there too.

I had a hard time finding Surly Furious in Minneapolis when I passed through last summer. I guess only a handful of stores regularly stock it. Well worth seeking out!

boddingtons is nice, i think youngs double choc comes in a pub can. warbird is an indiana can beer. does bellhaven come in a can or am i crazy! that would be great.

andypantz13 said:
You should check and see if you can find some Sly Fox. They do their pale ale and pils in cans. Apparently it was a six pack of the canned pils that won at the GABF too.

Sly fox OMFG......When are they going to put Ichor in a can :tank:

eschatz said:
boddingtons is nice, i think youngs double choc comes in a pub can. warbird is an indiana can beer. does bellhaven come in a can or am i crazy! that would be great.

I agree with the Boddingtons. I've taken it to a race before. Just be prepared to sip as soon as it gets cracked open. :p

I sure hope that Dale Everhart fella wins the racecar cup. lol

as stated dales is very good to....and if you want cheap grainbelt premium is good to.

As the myth that canned beer is not as good is a bunch of hoopla

eriktlupus said:
i' ll be on the inside of turn four for june race!

we sat between 3 and 4 in row 42 then in the august race my swmbo's step dad gave us his luxury sweet passes, Right on pit row shared the box with other car dealership owners and the owner of the odessa auction plus Bobby Allison and his family.It was and unforgetable exp.I dont think were going this year because of the money were spending on our wedding unless he gives us passes again.

I just got back from the race in So. Cal. and my favorite drink to take into the race is Bacardi in a water bottle. Then I just buy a soda there and start mixing.

Back