Best beer and gas lines?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmarshall

Reaction score
Putting together a parts list for a keezer. Wondering if I need to buy different kinds of lines for the gas and beer? Or can they be the same line? What size should I be buying?

And is the fitting on a US sankey coupler a 1/4 MFL?

I have 1/4 for air and 3/16 for beer. Bought done from beverage factory and done from AHB.

Putting together a parts list for a keezer. Wondering if I need to buy different kinds of lines for the gas and beer? Or can they be the same line? What size should I be buying?

You definitely want 3/16" ID beverage lines for a standard keezer, probably 10-12 feet per tap if you go with regular vinyl. There are some barrier tubing options if you're sensitive to plasticky tastes, but be aware that you'll need longer lines for those (I use 20' per tap for Accuflex Bev Seal Ultra). Gas line can be anything as long as it holds pressure, length doesn't matter.

And is the fitting on a US sankey coupler a 1/4 MFL?

It depends on if you buy one with barbs or if you buy one with MFLs :drunk: If it doesn't specify MFL connections, assume they have barbs.

You definitely want 3/16" ID beverage lines for a standard keezer, probably 10-12 feet per tap if you go with regular vinyl. There are some barrier tubing options if you're sensitive to plasticky tastes, but be aware that you'll need longer lines for those (I use 20' per tap for Accuflex Bev Seal Ultra). Gas line can be anything as long as it holds pressure, length doesn't matter.

It depends on if you buy one with barbs or if you buy one with MFLs :drunk: If it doesn't specify MFL connections, assume they have barbs.

What is the price difference like between standard vinyl and barrier tubing?

As far as MFL, perhaps I should narrow my question. If the coupler comes with threads on it, could one assume it is MFL? do they make sizes of mfl other than 1/4?

I don't think there's much of a price difference. You can get 100' of the accuflex for pretty cheap from our vendors (40 cents per foot at Birdman). The accuflex in particular is very stiff, and it can be a pain in the ass to get over the barbs. Since you're using MFLs, you should be fine for a long time as long as you keep the lines clean.

They do make other size flare fittings besides 1/4", but I've never seen it for this application. All couplers (that I've seen) have standard "beer nut" threaded fittings, which is very different from 1/4" MFL. They generally come with beer nut to barb fittings, you just want to make sure yours comes with beer nut to MFL fittings. As long as it says MFL you should be fine.

Here's an example from Keg Connection.

AddaSankeTaptoHomebrewKit.jpg

Absolutely, I run the same setup. It's much easier, and for the accuflex tubing it's also much better to deal with the swivel nuts compared to getting the tubing on/off of the barb each time you switch. :mug:

Back