Best ale yeast to mimic a lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good ale yeast that i could use for a boston lager clone? I am looking for a ale yeast that will best taste like a lager if there is such a thing.

Pre-thanks

Kolsch yeast is great for that. Ferment low 60's and let it secondary for 6-8 weeks at 50F. Just did a blonde ale with Kolsch yeast, and it came out really smooth and lager-like.

2112 California Lager Yeast. it IS a lager yeast. But it ferments well up to 65F while keeping lager like characteristics.

I've assumed you're not actually using a lager yeast because of temp control. If I'm wrong, why aren't you using a lager yeast?!!!

I used US-05 at 60F with my cream ale and it's as clean as many lagers. Temp is going to be the most important factor no matter what yeast you use. I made a blond with 1388 in the mid 60s that was really lager like as well.

I used an American Blend Ale (WLP060) on a cream ale that turned out very light and lager-ish. Slight sulfur smell during fermentation, but it dissipated quickly.

They say you can use nottingham as low as 57 and is super clean. I have never used it that low however so no advise from experience.

Assuming you can't get below 65 (cause if you could you'd probably be using a lager yeast I'd guess), I hear good things about US-05 and the California Lager strain. One of my LHBS's use the Cali Lager strain for all of their lager-like kits unless you specify that you can truly lager appropriately.

i can easly keep it between 60-65 so ill give the cali lager a try

Back