Bert Grant's Perfect Porter Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll probably brew it in about a month. I'd already bought the grains for BierMuncher's Cream of 3 Crops to brew this week, and I would have brewed that today but my mail-ordered hop sale hops (and yeast) still haven't arrived. :(

However, within a couple of weeks I should have run out of my batch of Orfy's Mild-Mannered Ale and will be ready to brew something else dark to replace it.

We brewed this on Saturday and it is happily bubbling away at 66 deg. We hit our numbers so we are hopeful.

I will keep you posted when we get to tasting time!

Cheers

I have updated the recipe for all here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f126/bert-grants-perfect-porter-tribute-149888/

I think this is as accurate as we are going to get and the only thing I need to be able to brew it more accurately is to have a copper kettle but I do have a copper dip tube and could have the immersion chiller in during the whole boil.

I'm getting ready to brew this soon...

For the carmelization effect couldn't you take a half gallon or so of the first runnings and boil it seperately reducing it down to a syrup to mimic this? I've seen this done for in Scottish wee heavy recipes (http://www.skotrat.com/skotrat/recipes/ale/scottish/recipes/10.html)

Ok we kegged our batch and I force carbed a 2l to try - just couldn't wait.

I took it to a group campout and it was gone in less than 5 min. It has a smokey hint to it but it has mellowed since we Kegged it.

I am giving this another 2 to 3 weeks in the keg before I really dive in (been in the Keg for 1.5 weeks).

So far very pleased with the results.

I'm doing one of these this coming Monday. Here's the recipe I'm using for anyone interested.

10 gallon batch

13 lbs, 4 oz - Maris Otter Malt (UK)
2 lbs - Briess Organic Chocolate Malt
1 lb, 13.1 oz - Briess Caramel 40L Malt
5.9 oz - Simpsons UK Peated Malt
3 oz - Belgian Debittered Black (500L) Malt

Hops: Willamette 1.7 oz @ 90, Willamette 1.2 oz @ 15
Finings: Irish Moss 1tsp @ 15

Yeast: 2 x Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale

Expected stats:
OG 11.82
FG 3.43
Color: 32.9 (87.2)
IBU: 25.1
ABV: 4.48%

We shall see!

Use 1oz (or less!) of the peated malt unless you want a Rauchbier. Seriously. 0_o
Even in a ten gallon batch, 5+ oz is insane...at least if you're trying to match Grants beer.

Use 1oz (or less!) of the peated malt unless you want a Rauchbier. Seriously. 0_o
Even in a ten gallon batch, 5+ oz is insane...at least if you're trying to match Grants beer.

Interesting. From the discussion on this forum it was suggested that peated malt made up 2% of the grist. So that's what I calculated.

Phenol count of the UK Peated malt was said to be 12-24 ppm.

If I only use 1oz, that'd be 0.35% of the grist. Is this really enough? I do recall Grant's being noticeably smoky but it wasn't the dominant flavor.

I think the acceptable range is between 1-2% for the peat, probably leaning toward the 1% but to each their own really, especially if it is something that will mellow with time.

I think 2% would be strong for me, I have made this a couple times and 1.1-1.3% is where I like it. Seems weird that that fine of a measure can make the difference but it does with this stuff.

One 5.5gal batch of this I did with 1oz was waay too smokey...finally starting to mellow a little after almost a year now.

1/2 oz was the sweet spot for me - that batch is already gone. ;)

Could be I had especially strong peated malt? IDK...

Carbon111 - what malt did you use? I ordered Simpsons Peated Malt (UK) from Northern Brewer, they state the phenol content is 12-24ppm.

I'd be curious to compare it to your malt.

Either, way it should be a good beer, 1.3% peat sounds good. you could always, steep some peat in a small amount of water, boil it and add if you think it isn't enough. I'm sure if you only did a pints worth it would effect the other qualities too much in 10 gallons.

Glad to hear you guys are having success with this one too.

Updated:

10 gallon batch

13 lbs, 6.1 oz - Maris Otter Malt (UK) (75.94%)
2 lbs - Briess Organic Chocolate Malt (11.35%)
1 lb, 13.1 oz - Briess Caramel 40L Malt (10.33%)
3.7 oz - Simpsons UK Peated Malt (1.31%)
3 oz - Belgian Debittered Black (500L) Malt (1.08%)

Hops: Willamette 1.7 oz @ 90, Willamette 1.2 oz @ 15
Finings: Irish Moss 1tsp @ 15

Yeast: 2 x Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale

Expected stats:
OG 11.82
FG 3.43
Color: 32.9 (87.2)
IBU: 25.1
ABV: 4.48%

Only change was to drop the Peat to 1.3% and replace the difference with more Maris Otter.

OK that brew is delicious. Fermentation was slow to really kick in but finished up after 5 days at 3.5%. I did a diacetyl rest and pulled the yeast out. Let it sit for another week and then kegged through rough filter. Carbonated to normal CO2 (next time, I'd slightly under carbonate).

Taste: Malty, chocolatey finishing with a delicate but noticeable smoke. Perfect! Not much bitterness at all.

Because of the low ABV its an easy drinker - can have 2-3 pints without feeling wasted.

I'll be making this again.

Back