berry cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewgirl

Reaction score
Anyone have a good recipe for a berry cider? it seems hard to find a quality recipe...

let me know if you have any tips for using fruit :) thanks!

The first tip is to freeze the fruit prior to using it. This turns the fruit into mush, releasing all of the juice. Thaw, heat to 165F for 15 minutes to pasturize.
Second, get a really big mesh bag. I have one that is as big as my bucket. The bag goes in the bucket, fruit in the bag and pour the cider & yeast on top.
Third, don't squeeze the bag when the ferment is done. Unless you like fruit mud.
Last, ignore the Style guide and use lots of berries. I make Revenge (a blackberry cider, best served cold) with about 50% berries, 50% apple juice and about 1% blood (I pick them myself, hence the name).

thanks for the tips. i had a blackberry or mixed berry cider in mind--your "revenge" cider sounds great! what type of yeast did you use/did it finish sweet or dry? thanks for the help. i typically brew beer and i am attempting cider for the first time so any help is appreciated :)

from the recipe book
for raspberry and blackberry recipe is same, except
4 lb blackberris or 3 lbs raspberries
then
7 pts water
2 1/ lb sugar
1/2 tsp acid blend
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 pkg winie yeast
starting SG 1.090-95

not mine, from a bbook--hope it helps

I used Nottingham dried yeast. Revenge is dry at room temperature and sweet when chilled. No idea why, the FG was 0.994, so I don't think there was much residual sugar.

Talcottsk said:
from the recipe book
then
7 pts water
2 1/ lb sugar
1/2 tsp acid blend
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 pkg winie yeast
starting SG 1.090-95

This a 'Country Wine' recipe for berries Talcottsk - Not a cider. No apples! ;)

so are country wines still or sparkling? the berry "country wine" recipe sounds good but i want whatever i make to be sparkling. As for the berry cider recipe given, would you add anytihng else (like tablets?) or is the fruit/juice and yeast all you need?

thank you for the help--i am excited to get going!

my recipe book says still or sparkling is ok, so you carbonate if you'd like--i would add campden to juice 24 hours before pitching yeast

what do you guys think about that? im not an expert--just my personal opinion

ok, sorry for the delay! i finally made my berry cider. after talking to one of the guys at my local homebrew store i settled on a very simple recipe:

yeast starter--1/2 gallon pasteurized 100% apple juice + yeast nutrient + whitelabs champagne yeast + 2/3 cup of wildflower honey

after three days i pitched the starter into 4 gallons of apple juice 1 can of rasberry puree and 1 can of blackberry puree. (each can is about 1/2 gallon of pure, seedless fruit--no preservatives).

the cider is a great purple color and almost immediately began to ferment. it resembles a framboise in color. i will elt it ferment for at least ten days then rack it into a secondary fermenter and let it sit for 2 months. i plan on bottling with priming sugar for a nice sparkling berry cider. thanks for the posts and advice--i will keep you posted on the results :)

Actually, I'd just like to bump this quick because I've got a question. I'm experimenting with my own berry-cider blend, using what I believe is a half-pound of blueberries and a half-pound of blackberries in a gallon of cider. I know, I know, cleanup is going to be a *****, but A) I'm on a budget and can't afford too much equipment and B) I've got minimal space to brue. So, basically, I've got a thick layer of berry bits floating on top of a nice purple mix.
Only thing is, there's this thick, scummy, brown layer on the bottom, and I'm not entirely sure if that's just the lees or what it is, since it's not really packed tightly on the bottom of my carboy.
I've had a chance to sniff my stuff and it doesn't have the stank of vinegar or anything... is this just a case where coffee filters are going to be my friend when I siphon?

OdinOneEye said:
Actually, I'd just like to bump this quick because I've got a question. I'm experimenting with my own berry-cider blend, using what I believe is a half-pound of blueberries and a half-pound of blackberries in a gallon of cider. I know, I know, cleanup is going to be a *****, but A) I'm on a budget and can't afford too much equipment and B) I've got minimal space to brue. So, basically, I've got a thick layer of berry bits floating on top of a nice purple mix.
Only thing is, there's this thick, scummy, brown layer on the bottom, and I'm not entirely sure if that's just the lees or what it is, since it's not really packed tightly on the bottom of my carboy.
I've had a chance to sniff my stuff and it doesn't have the stank of vinegar or anything... is this just a case where coffee filters are going to be my friend when I siphon?
The bits in the bottom will just be a lees/fruit flesh/seed mix as you've said. In a one gallon batch you obviously want to save as much of your brew so using a filter is perfect - I'd rack it again just to give it time to clear fully.

ok, sorry for the delay! i finally made my berry cider. after talking to one of the guys at my local homebrew store i settled on a very simple recipe:

yeast starter--1/2 gallon pasteurized 100% apple juice + yeast nutrient + whitelabs champagne yeast + 2/3 cup of wildflower honey

after three days i pitched the starter into 4 gallons of apple juice 1 can of rasberry puree and 1 can of blackberry puree. (each can is about 1/2 gallon of pure, seedless fruit--no preservatives).

the cider is a great purple color and almost immediately began to ferment. it resembles a framboise in color. i will elt it ferment for at least ten days then rack it into a secondary fermenter and let it sit for 2 months. i plan on bottling with priming sugar for a nice sparkling berry cider. thanks for the posts and advice--i will keep you posted on the results :)

Bumping to save this.... anyon else try anything similar?

Bumping to save this.... anyon else try anything similar?

Sure, I just started a batch last night.

Pomegranate Raspberry Cider/Cyser:

3 gal pasteurized apple juice (from grocery store)
2 gal unpasteurized apple juice (from uncle's orchard)
1 gal frozen apple juice concentrate (actually 120 fl oz, or 10 cans)
1 qt 100% pomegranate juice
2 lbs frozen raspberries (blended into puree)
3 1/2 cups honey
1 cup molasses
1/2 tsp potassium metabisulfite

I'm about to pitch 1 packet of cote des blancs yeast.

The goal is to have a slightly sweet, fruity, high octane, and refreshing summer beverage that envelopes the palate. (≈14% ABV.)

The OG of the unstirred brew measured around 1.104. I'll probably start stirring it every few days initially to oxygenate the yeast, and perhaps add more honey or raspberries later if the ABV or flavor calls for it. I'd like to nail this one within 2 fermentings, though I'm fine with 3.

In my enthusiasm, I tasted a small sample of the must with my (still clarifying) 17% apfelwein, and felt like a kid with his first wine cooler - which was a good memory - so I'm looking forward to the outcome! :mug:

from the recipe book
then
7 pts water
2 1/ lb sugar
1/2 tsp acid blend
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 pkg winie yeast
starting SG 1.090-95

Talcottsk, this sounds like a nice recipe. what book did you get it from?

Back