Berry Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kstone803

Reaction score
So I started a berry cider on 12/31/13. It consisted of 4.75 gallons AJ, 2.5 lbs table sugar, 3 lbs of mixed berries (raspberry, blueberry, blackberry) and Notty. I mixed the AJ and sugar and came to a SG of 1.062 then pitched a pack of Notty and dumped the berries in. It was fermenting in my garage which stays around 58 degrees in the winter so I let it go until 02/09/14. The FG was 1.002. So with the berries added to the SG of 1.062 I figure a abv of about 7.5%. I have 2 quarts of Santa Cruz Berry Nectar that I will mix in before bottling. It is currently sitting in the secondary with a clearing agent. Will most likely bottle this weekend. I snuck a taste going into the secondary and it has a really good taste. Just though I would share. Also I think the slow fermentation helped it.

I know, right? Winter has been holding my brew closet at a constant temp in the low 50s, all my fermentation has been really slow and consistent. It's great!

BTW, when i did blackberry cider with the berries in primary it ended up very bitter- i learned later that this is a result of the cider picking up flavor from the seeds. I'm glad to hear yours went better.

I have a 3 month old brew, still fermenting away... Up here in the frozen tundra of Minnesota, my 'brew' cellar is at 40-50 degrees.

So I bottled and my cider is still bottle carbing but I have already learned to never use berry nectar again. It is settling and creating a very noticeable line in the cider, requiring you to shake it prior to opening. It looks like oil and water almost. Taste is not bad but I will definitely not be using it again.

Back