Berliner Weisse Predicament

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaynsawchuk

Reaction score
Back in May I brewed up a 3G batch of Berliner with an OG of 1.040. I gave it three days with just lacto and kept it cozy with an aquarium heater and waterbath, at this point it had dropped to 1.030. It came up nice and sour and I pitched a smack pack of 3191 Berliner Weisse Blend. After a week the OG hit 1.012 and I added a cup of DME-hibiscus-tea mixture with an OG of 1.030, this bumped the gravity to 1.014. I checked in on it today and the SG was 1.011. All seems well except I'm moving at the end of the month and was really hoping to bottle this up! Am I begging for a brett related bottle-bomb or is it possible that after 79 days this is done?

Is there Brett in that blend, or did you add Brett at any point? Why are you concerned about Brett?

The beer should be plenty finished by now, 79 days is plenty.

Just keep an eye on the gravity. If it doesn't move after 3-4 days its fine, but you can always take the precaution and put them in a fridge to make the yeast go dormant. But if you do this right away you won't get carbonation. It's a tough thing dealing with beer that isn't done fermenting.

Another idea. If you still have a few weeks before moving you could warm the ferm temps to try and kick out the last bit of fermenting as fast as you can and then bottle it?

I could set it back up in the bath in the upper 70s. See what happens. I'd really like to bottle by next week so it won't conflict with me trying to pack the rest of my life.

Back