Berliner Weisse Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed my first Berliner Weisse the first weekend of the year and its sat in the primary since then. I was getting worried about the ph not dropping and the time it was on the yeast so I planned on racking it off the yeast to let it age (and hopefully sour up) for the next few months but Ive checked again and it seems to be forming a pellicle (Im not even sure it should form one).

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1423250299.654137.jpg

Any advice? Should I rack it or leave it on the yeast.

Which yeasts/bacteria did you pitch?

I'm a big fan of kettle souring with lacto for a few days until tartness is where you want it, boil 15 minutes, then pitch sacc yeast. I just brewed 2 weeks ago and my berliner is right where I want it now, should be carbed up in a few days.

No one?

Ive stuck it on top of my heat tray and Im just going to keep it on the yeast for a few more weeks and see what happens to the pH.

I would just leave it on the yeast until it the tartness gets to where you want it. It can take several months according to White Labs website.

I brewed my first Berliner a few weeks ago. Did a 15 minute boil and pitched Wyeast lacto around 100 degrees. Then I put it in a small room with a space heater and wrapped it in blankets. I tried to keep the room above 90(though not always successful). It took about 3 days for any serious activity to show up, but man it went nuts for about 24 hours. Tartness was right where I wanted it. After all the activity was gone (5 days) I let it cool down to room temp and pitched Wyeast 1007. It's now sitting in my basement at 65-70 degrees.

My questions now are how long to primary on the 1007 and whether to secondary in the carbon for a few months or do a short secondary and let it do its thing in the bottle for a few months before drinking.

Back