Berliner Weiss ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello I have a question regarding brewing a Berliner Weiss beer. Basically what I trying to figure out is the boil. I see a lot of recipe’s call for a 15min boil an also those same recipes have 50% or more pilsner malt now it’s my understanding anytime one brew’s with pilsner malt they need to boil for at least 90min to Get rid of DMS. Now one would think with only a 15min boil you would have a DMS bomb on your hand’s

DMS doesn't seem to be a problem. I don't know why. Many have commented on it - never heard of an issue. Do some research in the Lambic Forum.

Why boil for 15 minutes? Just take to boiling (or anywhere north of 180) and remove from heat. All you are trying to do is sanitize the wort and kill the enzymes.

DMS at a 5 or 10 gallon level is going to be imperceptible. Now at a brewery level, you'd need to worry about it.

I've kettle soured a BW and boils were only for about 15 minutes each. All-grain, no DMS.

It needed about 4 months, though, but after that it was freaking great. Maybe one of the best beers I've ever made.

Back