Berliner weiss

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

flabyboy

Reaction score
Looking at making a Berliner Weiss for this summer and had a question. Someone told me they use some maltodextrin to ensure the lactobacillus has something to eat. Can Lacto break down maltodextrin?? I plan on doing the no boil method, mash hop , pitch a clean ale yeast in primary with Lacto culture going in after 2 days. Any thoughts??

insubordinateK

Reaction score
It would be a good experiment. Lactobacillus can consume maltodextrin as well as other sugars in the wort.

I recently made a Berliner Weiss and just boiled my hops for 15 min. It accomplishes everything: low hop, sterilize your wort, drive off DMS. The no-boil method is really not better ; it is traditional. I don't get it.

I did my primary (added US-05 and lacto at the same time) and after four weeks in the primary, the sourness was not really there. I currently am doing a secondary on fruit, and I expect the sourness to increase from the lacto having more sugar to consume.

Let you know in a couple months.

OP
flabyboy

flabyboy

Reaction score
I have read some people do a sour mash and some do the no boil method. I figured I would try the traditional way (no boil) because why not? This is why we homebrew, right?? What ate you guys using to bottle this stuff? I doubt standard 12oz brown bottles will hold the pressure, but I hate the idea of buying a crap load of bottles for just this batch. Kegging doesn't seem like the best idea because it doesn't seem like the kin of beer you will finish off quickly