Berliner sour mash question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nvious23

Reaction score
I am doing a full sour mash in my mash tun. Some sources say not to sparge to get preboil volume just add water after I drain the tun. Some say sparge as usual to get pre boil volume. Which one do you use or prefer thanks.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Home Brew mobile app

I thought it had to do with the ph of the remaining grain so im not totally sure. I know with it sitting for so long to sour you are getting really fermentable wort. On the first runnings

I thought it had to do with the ph of the remaining grain so im not totally sure. I know with it sitting for so long to sour you are getting really fermentable wort. On the first runnings

Souring is done at a temperature well below the active range for saccharification, which would have been completed earlier. You're making a beer as you normally would with the added step of sitting at around 100F for a while between mash and sparge.

Back