Bentonite. Wow.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom128

Reaction score
So I feel compelled to share my experience I had with bentonite, as what has happened versus what I was expecting were far different.

Back story: I made some JAOM and I did not have a good time with it. It was easy to make and cleared up real nice, but when I went to bottle it the oranges partially disintegrated into a thick cloud. On top of that I just did a poor job with the racking cane and that ultra-sensitive bread yeast went back into suspension. While I know its nowhere near ready to drink and will taste bad, I have a get-together this weekend and I was going to let my friends have some of it, so I was disappointed that it wasn't even going to look nice.

Then I decided to try using some bentonite! Everything I have read said bentonite takes at least a few days (what I was gambling on), but sometimes up to a few weeks to work. Not mine apparently, I have super bentonite. I was expecting it to take a while so I took a before picture so I could see it's progression day to day. Sorry for the bad pics, used my phone.

This is what my JAOM looked like after "the clouding". I had just stirred the bentonite in.
h7RBdql.jpg

I set it on my back counter and left the kitchen. About 20 minutes later I went back to get something to drink and my jaw hit the floor. This is what it looked like:
KsAWUek.jpg

Here is the bag of bentonite behind it. It's still hazy but for only 20 minutes I was floored:
Knz4Pkz.jpg

I woke up this morning and it was pretty much crystal clear:
CKmYmdI.jpg

This seems far beyond what bentonite should have done, but I'm not complaining. I guess bentonite is awesome at binding with yeast and disintegrated oranges. I am going to bottle it tomorrow. Hopefully I don't stir up the sediment and I can at least have a nice looking bottle (or two) of mead to share...even if it tastes terrible. I am interested in what the other bottles I don't use will taste like in a year.

I have had great success with bentonite. I made a concord wine which initially was cloudy. After about an hour with bentonite in solution it cleared miraculously!

From what I understand, you're supposed to let it set for quite some time anyway to let the bentonite sink to the bottom, then rack it so there is no crud (that's an official term, right?) in the mead.

I bottled this stuff a few days ago (Friday 8/23) and let my friends drink two of the bottles at my gathering the day after. Both bottles were gone in the first hour or so :D I could tell it needs to age but it was still pretty good and a big hit. I do have to admit that I sweeten it with the rest of the honey I had, which was around 0.5lbs. The bitterness of the orange was just too intense but the extra honey really helped. I have 3 other bottles I will let age for 6+ months to see how they taste.

As for racking, bentonite seems to be a heck of a tool for countering the bread yeast and fine fruit particles that came off the oranges. The lees was still somewhat flocculant, but nothing like it was before. I was able to rack it with no trouble

So I added some bentonite to a batch that has been aging for a while and plan on bottling in a few days. Hopefully it clears up nicely as yours!

Back