Bend Oregon 10 Barrel Brewing has issued a recall

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtgrdn

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Saw this on the news this morning, didn't see anyone post it yet.
"10 Barrel Brewing has issued a recall for its Swill brand beer, due to possible explosions.

"It has come to our attention that some of this product may be experiencing secondary fermentation in the bottle, causing over carbonation," said Bec Milgrom of 10 Barrel.

According to the voluntary recall statement, if you have any 12 or 22-ounce bottles of Swill in your home, you should immediately throw them out. But you should first put on protective gloves and eye wear, and then "place all remaining Swill bottles in a closed box and place immediately in a secured Dumpster or trash container outside."

Milgrom said no other 10 Barrel products are affected. Swill is brewed through a different process than the company's other beers.

Milgrom also said there is "no danger and nothing to worry about" for anyone who already drank Swill.

"We take the utmost pride in producing an extremely high quality product and continuously striving for new and innovative beers to send to the consumer. Unfortunately in this instance, despite a rigorous testing and brewing quality-check process, we didn’t hit the mark," the company statement reads."

Swill is a Radler, meaning they mix in fruit juice after the beer is done, sounds like they didn't filter well enough to keep the yeast out.

Not really a recall if they're not offering a replacement or money back. More of a "we effed up, better luck next time".

Kind of crummy, actually.

Not really a recall if they're not offering a replacement or money back. More of a "we effed up, better luck next time".

Kind of crummy, actually.

Yeah, I was surprised they're telling people to throw out the product and making no effort to compensate.

At first, they called Swill an "experiment", then a "Berliner Weiss"... then a Radler.

They make some good stuff, for sure, but Swill ain't one 'em. Aptly named!

I had Swill last week for the first time and thought it was pretty good. Very different than most beers but good for one or 2 every now and then.
I would recommend people just pop the top and drink it. I don't waste good beer.

The recall has expanded to Beer No. 1 now.

I opened the single bottle of swill I bought on Wed. and found it to be both over-carbonated and way too sweet for my tastes.

10 Barrel's press releases have said to call or email for a refund as does their web site.
recall%20cover.jpg

Back