Bench Capper vs Hand Capper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked thru 2nd hand stores until I found a vintage bench capper ( It didn't take very long). A little clean up and it works perfectly, is all metal nothing gonna break this thing, and only 15.00. One of my best brewing purchases.

I looked thru 2nd hand stores until I found a vintage bench capper ( It didn't take very long). A little clean up and it works perfectly, is all metal nothing gonna break this thing, and only 15.00. One of my best brewing purchases.
I did this twice, but my mistake was not testing them before I bought them (who carries an empty bottle and unused cap?!?) . I bought two different ones for the same $15, all metal, looked solid enough, both stunk. If they're in a "vintage" store, somebody, somewhere, got tired of putting up with it.

Not necessarily. I have a room full of beautiful old woodworking tools from vintage stores, and the all work just fine

I think it's a generational thing. The old folks pass away, their tools lie around for half a century or so, then off to auctioneer or thrift store.

That being said, you must keep in mind that the manufacture of cheap crap is not a recent innovation. A lot of old stuff was just as bad as the latest import.

I have both a wing capper and an old bench capper i got from a friend. For some reason the bench capper has chosen a hiding spot in my house where I cannot find it for the life of me, so had to use the wing capper last weekend in my first bottling venture in a year. Where oh where did my bench capper go???? Messed up a few caps due to lack of practice and I was low on them anyway. Darn thing is here SOMEWHERE....Love that old thing.

I have the Agata, which works well, though the column deflects a bit under pressure. It doesn't appear that the caps are seated off-axis, but I still don't like the Agata's "flexibility." I wish it was a little more rigid. It has a series of detent stops and you need to manually set one for the height of your bottles. However, I use all the same type of bottles, so I don't need to adjust up and down. Set it and forget it. If you use different kinds of bottles in a batch, you might want to get the Super Agata, which has a spring mechanism that automatically adjusts height.

I previously used a Red Baron wing capper, which worked well, and was more robust than some of the other cappers many places sell. But I started bottling in stubby bottles and the wing capper can't reach the top with the short necks.

I must have gotten a very good Red Baron 2 handled capper. About 2,500 bottles, no breakage of either bottles or capper.

I didn't have a lot of luck w/ the wing capper in the beginning. It was only after I bought a Super Agata that I figured out what I was doing wrong with it.

As I press the handles down w/ the wing capper, there's a sort of a kind of a "thunk" (no noise made) where the cap is seated. When I was a newbie, I wasn't sure that was enough to completely seat the cap, so I kept pressing down to be sure. Cracked a number of bottle necks that way.

Now, I understand how that cap seating and sealing over the mouth of the bottle is supposed to feel.

For years I used a 2 handled "wing" type capper and now have a Super Agata bench capper. Now I'm getting occasional bottles that don't carbonate (perhaps 1 in every 20) with the more expensive bench model. That never happened with my hand held capper. But at least I'm not cracking bottles, which happened on rare occasions with the hand capper.

I broke two bottles with the wing capper. Second instance even resulted in a broken capper (Ok maybe I'm using a bit too much force)

This was caused by bottles that have slightly different neck size (Distance from lip to neck rib that the capper grabs). Not sure of exact name of parts of the bottle. Never noticed this at first but on the second incident i figured it out.

I had two red "wing hand cappers" that I used forever but using the newer Agata bench capper that self adjusts like the one you linked and a Blichmann bottling gun i actually had a fun and speedy bottling session. It greatly improved my bottling sessions.

For years I used a 2 handled "wing" type capper and now have a Super Agata bench capper. Now I'm getting occasional bottles that don't carbonate (perhaps 1 in every 20) with the more expensive bench model. That never happened with my hand held capper. But at least I'm not cracking bottles, which happened on rare occasions with the hand capper.
This made me curious. I just went downstairs and took the, I dunno, bells, or dies, I guess, off of my Italian wing and bench cappers. Yes, they will interchange. No they are not the same. The die from the wing capper is goldish plated and looks round. The die from the bench capper is silverish, and so not-round the durn thing looks square. I put the goldish one on the bench capper.

This could account for leaky bottles, Silver. If you want to check it out, be aware that the male threads are plastic, and REALLY hard to get back on straight.

In passing, I noticed that my antique capper had seen so much use that the bottles had actually worn through the plating on the base.

I'm gathering parts to build a pneumatic capper. Based on what I learned today, I'll machine my own dies, thank you.

Since getting the bench capper I linked to above I've bottled 22 cases of 12 oz bottles, and until yesterday had not broken a single one. I can't say that now: one bottle just burst apart at the middle!

As for speed, I find the bench capper to be faster, maybe due to the way I bottle: I fill all the bottles at once, leaving the loose cap on the top, then cap them all at once. The one-handed lever action and ease of lining it up make it faster for me than when I wing capped them all.

I've noticed a lot of variation in glass thickness thus I suppose bottle strength. I've got enough bottles now that I am culling the wee short ones. I wonder if I couldn't pick a medium-thick bottle, weigh it, and toss anything that weighs less?

I've noticed a lot of variation in glass thickness thus I suppose bottle strength. I've got enough bottles now that I am culling the wee short ones. I wonder if I couldn't pick a medium-thick bottle, weigh it, and toss anything that weighs less?
I think that's my plan too. That was a bit unnerving. The shards showed some of the wall was way thinner on one side of the bottle.

Ever see bottles being made? Manual or machine, it's just a blob of hot glass blown in a mold. No practical way to keep the cavity centered. So some will be thin on one side, and some of those will slip paste qc. Scares me too.

I feel when I use the wing capper, the motion with my hands should not be linearly down, place all force vertically on bottle; but almost twisting if you will, to make the force between the metal plates under the neck upwards and down from top on bell. This may it may not be correct, and I have broken a couple bottles through the years but only a couple.

I came here to ask an opinion on the best capper. I bought the youngs black wing capper but it's already gone wonky and bent on one side and doesn't seem very strong. Not impressed by that. I had a whole gallons worth stay flat because the tops weren't on tightly enough. I couldn't think why else they were like that when other beers carbonated well. I've also got a red hammer capper but only use that when the other won't get the tops on, like on the corona bottles with the shorter, closer together, ridges.

I want a strong sturdy no nonsense capper to give hubby for his birthday. Don't care which sort. Just strong and reliable. Having bought two unsatisfactory cappers already, I want this next one to be the last we ever buy. Going to look at all these recs, but is there a definite star of the show sort?

I came here to ask an opinion on the best capper. I bought the youngs black wing capper but it's already gone wonky and bent on one side and doesn't seem very strong. Not impressed by that. I had a whole gallons worth stay flat because the tops weren't on tightly enough. I couldn't think why else they were like that when other beers carbonated well. I've also got a red hammer capper but only use that when the other won't get the tops on, like on the corona bottles with the shorter, closer together, ridges.

I want a strong sturdy no nonsense capper to give hubby for his birthday. Don't care which sort. Just strong and reliable. Having bought two unsatisfactory cappers already, I want this next one to be the last we ever buy. Going to look at all these recs, but is there a definite star of the show sort?

I have one of these:

https://www.morebeer.com/products/super-agata-bench-capper.html

Not sure if they're readily available across the pond, but this one works well.

None of the ones available on ebay say their names. Here are four such pics. Are they all much of a muchness, or are there flaws such as flexibility to watch for?

s-l225-1.jpg s-l225-2.jpg s-l225-3.jpg s-l225.jpg

The Malt miller have quite a few.

A research report here too.

Last edited:
None of the ones available on ebay say their names. Here are four such pics. Are they all much of a muchness, or are there flaws such as flexibility to watch for?

View attachment 673995 View attachment 673996 View attachment 673997 View attachment 673998

The Malt miller have quite a few.

A research report here too.

The only one I have experience with (other than wing cappers which have worked well for me) is the Super Agata. The pic above you show, the red one, looks like the Super Agata.

Some bench cappers require you to set the height of the capper which means the bottles have to all be the same height, or you have to readjust the capper for the different heights.

The Super Agata lets you slide the capping shuttle down to the top of the bottle and cap and then when you pull the handle down, it locks in place and then caps the bottle. In other words, it's self-adjusting to the height of the bottle.

I have this one. It's well built, and hasn't given me any problems. The height is easily adjustable, you just pull the little red "trigger".

.....I want a strong sturdy no nonsense capper to give hubby for his birthday. Don't care which sort. Just strong and reliable. Having bought two unsatisfactory cappers already, I want this next one to be the last we ever buy. Going to look at all these recs, but is there a definite star of the show sort?

Those two items were my criteria as well when I upgraded from a hand capper to a bench capper. I looked at several of the ones others have listed as well as what you have posted. I always read some reviews about the plastic head breaking or cracking for some people. Therefore, I wanted something made totally of steel that would hold up with heavy use and last decades.

Here is what I bought and I am very happy with it as it is a beast! It will meet your criteria and exceed your expectations. https://www.morebeer.com/products/deluxe-bench-bottle-capper.html I believe it is made by Ferrari.

I'm not sure if MoreBeer ships to the UK, but if they do, I would suggest you wait until they have their 15%-17% sale which should be coming soon.

Good luck!

Those two items were my criteria as well when I upgraded from a hand capper to a bench capper. I looked at several of the ones others have listed as well as what you have posted. I always read some reviews about the plastic head breaking or cracking for some people. Therefore, I wanted something made totally of steel that would hold up with heavy use and last decades.

Here is what I bought and I am very happy with it as it is a beast! It will meet your criteria and exceed your expectations. https://www.morebeer.com/products/deluxe-bench-bottle-capper.html I believe it is made by Ferrari.

I'm not sure if MoreBeer ships to the UK, but if they do, I would suggest you wait until they have their 15%-17% sale which should be coming soon.

Good luck!

I couldn't order it from anyone inside the UK so have ordered one through my local grain supplier. I could get a much cheaper one on the likes of ebay but run the risk of non delivery, and in these odd times, I am not willing to take that risk for the sake of an extra £30 on something this expensive. I want to buy it only when i know it's here. Hopefully a once in a lifetime purchase.

I have both the Red Baron winged capper and the Super Agata bench capper. I have ruined bottle caps with both. That always happens when the capper bell gets slightly unscrewed. On any capper, make sure the capping bell is screwed in tightly.

glenn514:mug:

Latest posts

Back