bench bottle cappers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claddaghgirl

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm trying to find a bench bottle capper that caps and screws cappers onto bottles for my love. Does anyone have any suggestions? They'd be greatly appreciated. We found one on brewmasterswarehouse.com but it doesn't cap the screw on caps.

Are you asking if it will cap a twist off bottle? All Bench cappers will cap a twist off bottle. The one at BMW is the one I have and it works fine on twist offs for me.

Yeah, the bench cappers all pretty much just "jam" on the cap and will cap twist off bottles (although it's still recommended not to use twisties). They don't actually screw them on...the capping mechanism works the same way with twisties and pryoffs.

Although screw top bottles can be capped with a bench capper, most people will recommend only using pry off bottles. I've never tried capping a screw on bottle so my experience is only what I've heard.

All homebrew supply places will have a bench capper. There are many good, reuptable online stores like Morebeer, austin homebrew, midwest, northern brewer, rebel brewer, brewgadgets, etc.

No issues with capping screw on bottles for me with a bench capper. Really, all you're looking for is the downwards force with the bellcapper to push the cap onto the bottle. (Which is why a wing capper won't work because that uses an upwards force and needs a certain distanced edge to pull the bottle into the cap.)

The issue you may have is if the glass thread is damaged somehow. Either chipped or weakened where it crushes on the capping process. So when you have people drinking twist offs, have them rinse and put it back into a box and not just toss them into a bag where the threads have a greater chance of being damaged. (Also, they could potentially have been damaged during the original capping or opening, but just take a glance at them and make sure before filling.)

Can you recommend a specific bench capper please. I read reviews on one and they were terrible. I don't want to get one that is a disappointment.

This is the reviews I was reading on this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Agata-B...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I have a wing capper but I tried to use it with some stella bottles and it wouldn't snag the neck. I'm looking to upgrade. I would like to bottle more if the bottling was easier with a bench capper that worked on most bottles. Any insights would be great. Thank You!!!

I've had a Super Agata for years, pressed thousands of caps, never had a problem. Perhaps the Super Agata capper has undergone some cost-reduction changes, because I couldn't make sense of some of the problems related in the Amazon reviews.

But some problems are clearly operator error: the guys complaining about the mangled rectangular plastic piece had to be using it as a carriage stop while bottling. That piece is used to hold the carriage in its "parked" position for shipping. It can be used for the same purpose during storage, but during actual use that piece is non-functional. The height adjustment is maintained by the lever-actuated mechanism internal to the carriage. As long as you don't release the height adjustment mechanism (by fully raising the lever) it will stay at the selected height from bottle to bottle.

Other than the problems I can't decipher, I suspect the absence of instructions might be at the core of some of these complaints...

Cheers!

I've had a Super Agata for years, pressed thousands of caps, never had a problem. Perhaps the Super Agata capper has undergone some cost-reduction changes, because I couldn't make sense of some of the problems related in the Amazon reviews.

But some problems are clearly operator error: the guys complaining about the mangled rectangular plastic piece had to be using it as a carriage stop while bottling. That piece is used to hold the carriage in its "parked" position for shipping. It can be used for the same purpose during storage, but during actual use that piece is non-functional. The height adjustment is maintained by the lever-actuated mechanism internal to the carriage. As long as you don't release the height adjustment mechanism (by fully raising the lever) it will stay at the selected height from bottle to bottle.

Other than the problems I can't decipher, I suspect the absence of instructions might be at the core of some of these complaints...

Cheers!
Those reviews lead me to purchasing the red barron capper, which I purchased instead. Although I felt the bench top capper would have gone nice next to my reloading equipment :) Maybe you can post a review to clarify those issues because the review up there left me thinking I was better off with the capper I bought.

Back