Belma's Galaxy IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FATC1TY

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05/ BRY-97
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
2 packs of Dry
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 @ 67
Tasting Notes
A slightly sweet, biscuity, ripe red berry, tangerine peach hop profile.
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 86.3 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.9 %
8.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.9 %
8.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 4 3.9 %
0.50 oz Belma [12.10 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 5 19.2 IBUs
1.10 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
1.00 oz Belma [11.30 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 13.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 8.1 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 7.0 min Hop 9 2.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Belma [11.30 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 7.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 11 1.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 13 -
1.50 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.060 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.067 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.3 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 7.5 %
Bitterness: 50.6 IBUs Calories: 224.3 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 7.1 SRM

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs 12.0 oz
Sparge Water: 4.92 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 19.14 qt of water at 161.7 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge Step: Batch sparge with 2 steps (0.83gal, 4.09gal) of 168.0 F water

This is a great floral, fruity IPA. Has some slight spice and earthy resin notes to it. Belma is a really cheap, dual purpose hop. Works well this these two hops to balance everything out.

Used Belma to bitter, flavor and used it in the dry hop to see all it has to offer.

Leaves some incredible lacing on the glass, wonderful head on this beer. I had this ready in 2.5 weeks from grain to glass, kegging it.

B3967653-15AA-4E36-BC98-59A8603F0A43-3235-000005919BEC45D3.jpg

EFF0C060-4075-4AB6-A125-FFA1713993C2-12905-000017B24D8461CC.jpg

CD027E14-42F9-4EF8-ABBB-1576764B4AFD-12944-000017B42AAF5DAF.jpg

YUM.

I will be brewing this again in no time. Keg is almost gone. Galaxy is Belma's bestfriend.

I've been keeping an eye on this thread. Like nearly everyone else, I picked up a pound of Belma and have been trying to think of something interesting to do with them. I was thinking of trying a Petite Saison with Belma this summer, but I might give this one a try. This IPA looks like something I would enjoy, but the rye is even more intriguing. Keep us updated on the Rye recipe if you make it.

Okay, did you really use 1.1 Whirlfoc??? lol!
I've been experimenting with Belma usage.... I've tried a few iterations of my own. I've tried a Belma (only) pale and it was pretty weak in flavor and aroma, and I've tried a Belma IPA (with magnum as bitter), neither have impressed me in the least. But since I have a couple of pounds of Belma (as many of us do) I've been thinking that the winning combo is to do either a Saison, or a Belgian style pale (my next) or to restrict Belma to a bittering hop, which I just did with my last brew. My IPA this week was bittered with Belma and finished with mostly late additions of Falconers Flight and Citra... so the flavor profile will probably overpower the Belma even though she has a couple of ounces in there. The funny thing that I've found is, that Belma ages out well... after a few weeks.
I must admit, that I'm Impressed with your hop schedule, I'm going to have to try something similar. I still have 2 pounds of hops to experiment with thanks to Puterbaugh Farms over packing my bags!!!

Okay, did you really use 1.1 Whirlfoc??? lol!
I've been experimenting with Belma usage.... I've tried a few iterations of my own. I've tried a Belma (only) pale and it was pretty weak in flavor and aroma, and I've tried a Belma IPA (with magnum as bitter), neither have impressed me in the least. But since I have a couple of pounds of Belma (as many of us do) I've been thinking that the winning combo is to do either a Saison, or a Belgian style pale (my next) or to restrict Belma to a bittering hop, which I just did with my last brew. My IPA this week was bittered with Belma and finished with mostly late additions of Falconers Flight and Citra... so the flavor profile will probably overpower the Belma even though she has a couple of ounces in there. The funny thing that I've found is, that Belma ages out well... after a few weeks.
I must admit, that I'm Impressed with your hop schedule, I'm going to have to try something similar. I still have 2 pounds of hops to experiment with thanks to Puterbaugh Farms over packing my bags!!!

No I just used the 1 tablet. Beersmith does that 1.1 automatically, and I don't care enough to change it. Similar that Irish moss is like .28 tsp.. I didn't put that number in there!

Belma does age out well, I will agree.

I get a pronounced berry note. A ripe red berry, almost sweet fruit cup note from it, followed by a little grassy dirt kinda finish with it.

Belma is a great hop to bitter with though. I'm doing a Saison today, but won't be using Belma in the boil. Keeping it around 25 IBU's, and using Nelson Sauvin. I might actually dry hop the saison with an ounce of leaf Belma. It seems to be an oily hop that just leads to incredible lacing from what I've seen.

I just rebrewed this beer, well.. the same grist, and same hop schedule, but I used Mosaic and Amarillo instead. I was curious if I still got the same head and lacing from them that I did with the Belma and Galaxy.

I followed your recipe with a few modifications

I had some Legacy Hops (last years new hop from hopsdirect) Took an ounce of whole leaf and added throughout the boil
Dry hopped 1.5 oz of Galaxy and 1.5 oz of cascade....
Used BRY-97 yeast
Grain and rest of your hop schedule I followed

First tasting was excellent...great fruity aroma from the galaxy...very clean ipa with a good bitterness on the finish...I sent one off to a local competition we will see how it does

Nice.. Sounds pretty good. I dry hopped with some Cascade as well in the keg. Paired well with the Galaxy and Belma. I really like the combo together.

Let us know how it fairs in the local comp.

Schumed said:
I followed your recipe with a few modifications

I had some Legacy Hops (last years new hop from hopsdirect) Took an ounce of whole leaf and added throughout the boil
Dry hopped 1.5 oz of Galaxy and 1.5 oz of cascade....
Used BRY-97 yeast
Grain and rest of your hop schedule I followed

First tasting was excellent...great fruity aroma from the galaxy...very clean ipa with a good bitterness on the finish...I sent one off to a local competition we will see how it does

Proud to announce .....I took 1st in the American IPA category and was runner up for Best of Show!!! Excited to see my scoresheets ....thanks for the idea

Proud to announce .....I took 1st in the American IPA category and was runner up for Best of Show!!! Excited to see my scoresheets ....thanks for the idea

Thats pretty awesome, congrats.

I came up with the grain bill, and for my IPA's I generally keep them within the same grain bill, with minor changes or additions. It's a simple clean one for sure.

Glad it turned out so well for you.

Won a other Medal for this beer this time Silver....I was worried the aroma wouldn't hold up past 6 weeks but still awesome might even be better with a little age

Which is something I've noticed with Belma...the tropical / fruit notes really start to come out with some time

Schumed said:
Won a other Medal for this beer this time Silver....I was worried the aroma wouldn't hold up past 6 weeks but still awesome might even be better with a little age

Which is something I've noticed with Belma...the tropical / fruit notes really start to come out with some time

I subscribed to this thread curious how your beer turned out. I'm glad you posted back. I'm going to try your version.

Latest posts

Back