Bell's Java Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgbell

Reaction score
I'd like to brew a clone of this beer -- mainly because I'm living overseas right now in the Southern Hemisphere where it's winter, and this used to be one of my go-to winter beers.

I found this on another homebrew forum, from Bell's:

"Here’s what I can tell you: the mix of coffee comes from Water Street Coffee, but is pretty tight lipped. I would make at least part of the blend a pretty aggressive flavored coffee. I would crush the beans and add around ½ lb. to a 5 gallon batch after primary fermentation subsides (maybe in a secondary).

As far as the recipe goes, I’d put together a nice stout with plenty of chocolate malt, maybe half of that amount roasted barley, and about half that amount black malt. Give it some good body with some munich and flaked malts as well as a bit of medium crystal (60L ish). Shoot for a gravity of 1.075 or so. Hops are just enough to balance sweetness. Something neutral. A neutral yeast as well."

This is the recipe from the 2003 Zymurgy issue that featured a lot of Bell's, which seems off to me, at least from that description:

Target OG: 1.075; Target FG: 1.018; ABV 7.5%; IBU: 40; Boil time: 90 min.

11 lbs. pale 2-row
1.5 lbs. flaked barley
1.0 lb roasted barley (the English blacker type)
.5 lb. Crystal 40L
.5 lb. espresso roast or French roast coarsely ground and contained in a grain bag for last 10 min. of boil.

1.0 oz. Centennial for 60 min. (whatever needed on your system for around 40 IBU’s)

WY1056 or WLP001

Single infusion at 150-152F; 1qt. H20 per 1lb. grain for mash

---

My question is: if I wanted to build something off the description from Bell's, using chocolate malt/roasted barley/black malt plus crystal 60 and Munich/flaked, what's a good amount of chocolate malt to start with? I brew partial mashes, but I've never done a stout before.

If I use around 14oz of chocolate it ends up at around 7.8% of the grist at 1.075 -- does that sound about right? :mug:

Usually in my stouts the total of roasted grains is 10-15%. That means chocolate, black, roasted barley.

Back