Bell's Brewery 6th Annual Homebrew competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wtaylor3

Reaction score
Well, Bell's finally announced the date for Wort pickup and Expo. Only real rules are that you must use their wort that they distribute for free at the expo.

Was wondering if any other Michiganders on here are planning on entering? Wort pickup is September 19th and bottle turn in is October 25th.

I've never entered it before and I'm not sure if I should try to mash with the wort or just steep additional grain. However, I believe I'm gonna try this year. Will be my first ever competition.

Is the wort pickup really just for filling the 200 spots? How do they know if you actually used the wort?

That I'm unsure of, I suppose as long as it's a beer that could be made from the wort they wouldn't know

@wardens355 spots are limited to the amount of wort. First come first served til gone. Sign up starts at 11am and wort pick up begins at 1pm til gone.

Here is the basic info on the wort. http://wbtm.co/1QgGKqY It's a pdf from 2012. I asked David Curtis of Bell's as to its accuracy for this years competition and he said this:

"The wort should be the same again this year barring any grain shortages or anything else that I've not been made aware of yet. Plan on it matching that description."

David Curtis
Bell's Brewery, Inc.

It'd be fun to head out and pick up a batch of the wort, but no one I've asked from around here in Detroit wants to go along. :(

The first place prize is rather intriguing, though...

I've done this event every year they have done it. I will be missing this year and I'm bummed about it.. I just found out about it too late and already had plans on that day. It basically works like this:

1: Go to Bell's Eccentric Cafe with a sanitized vessel to hold your 5 gallons.
2: Get name on signup sheet to pick up wort at a certain time (earlier you get to Bell's better chance you have of A) Getting wort and B) Getting wort earlier in the day
3: They have lots of good beers on tap for all the homebrewers and a little homebrew expo with raffles etc... While you wait to get your wort.
4: You pick up wort in your sanitized vessel.
5: They have a hot dog eating contest as well...
6: Bell's doesn't much care what you do with the wort. You can brew with it for their competition (honor system that you actually use their wort.) You can dump it in your bathtub and take a bath in it. You are not required to enter the competition if you get wort. There are no entry fees for the wort or the competition.

It really is a fun time.

I'm trying to work out what I want to do to the wort once I receive it. A lot of styles could be made from that plain wort

Back